D&D General “Groom of the Stool” — how accurate do you want your royal courts to be

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Well, someone has to take care of the little guy.
latest

Derren

Hero
Doesn't have to be a "Groom of the stool" level, but it would be nice if there was at least a recognizable feudal structure and titles with some meaning behind them.
In most fantasy games the titles are meaningless. You have a king as either primary quest giver or victim and some dukes, counts or barons if you need someone for intrigue. But what they are duke etc. of is never established, nor does it matter as does who their liege is.

Last edited:

Doesn't have to be a "Groom of the stool" level, but it would be nice if there was at least a recognizable feudal structure and titles with some meaning behind them.
In most fantasy games the titles are meaningless. You have a king as either primary quest giver or victim and some dukes, counts or barons if you need someone for intrigue. But what they are duke etc. of is never established, nor does it matter as does how who their liege is.

Yeah, most published fantasy settings have very awkward systems of nobility and titles which never make a lot of sense, which I put down to the authors being unfamiliar with most of the terms, usually because they are Americans.

Derren

Hero
Yeah, most published fantasy settings have very awkward systems of nobility and titles which never make a lot of sense, which I put down to the authors being unfamiliar with most of the terms, usually because they are Americans.
Most europeans are not automatically more familiar with feudal titles except maybe in Britain. Its sadly never seen as relevant as it is either considered to complicated (it is, after all, politics) and because most fantasy players resent authority in game and do whatever they want (also, having some form of authority makes it harder to justify murdering everyone who stands in your way which is a central theme in most D&D adventures).

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
In my Eberron campaigns, I strove for a semblance of historical accuracy with the various “odd” titles and positions in Aundair’s royal court.

In doing so, I also realized it gave me the perfect opportunity to have Aundair’s method of monarchical government be a source of ridicule by the Brelish people.

Derren

Hero
In my Eberron campaigns, I strove for a semblance of historical accuracy with the various “odd” titles and positions in Aundair’s royal court.

In doing so, I also realized it gave me the perfect opportunity to have Aundair’s method of monarchical government be a source of ridicule by the Brelish people.
I assume that ridicule comes from modern sensibilities?
Back then "Groom of the stool" was not something to laugh about as we would do now but as the article says a prestigious and highly influential position. After all among other benefits the Groom had guranteed access to the king several times a day which was more than most other nobles had.

Remove ads