“You do realize”

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
You do realize that when you start a post with the phrase “You do realize”, you sound like a douche.

Suggestion: I know this probably can’t happen, but I wish there could be a macro that automatically replaced “You do realize” with “I am beautiful” or something equally non-insufferable.

Phion

Explorer
Sokka

Attachments

• Ok.gif
    Ok.gif
    288.4 KB · Views: 313

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
People have conversational ticks.

You do realize ....
With all due respect ....
I am sure that you know ....

Some times meaning can be unclear.

On the other hand, sometimes it is perfectly clear.

Bless your heart.

Have you ever seen a post that started with "You do realize" that wasn't just as condescending as "Bless your heart"?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Have you ever seen a post that started with "You do realize" that wasn't just as condescending as "Bless your heart"?

Eh, tone can be a tricky thing with the written word, and even moreso on the internet.

Just recently, I made what I thought was a somewhat obvious reference that got several, "Well, AK-SHUALLY" responses that missed the obvious reference. Because ....

A. I don't know my audience (on the internet, my audience is all dogs); and
B. On the internet, no one can assume I am making a reference (they don't know that I'm a dog).

So I try to assume that people aren't being condescending to me, and bless their little cotton socks, and move on. :)

Bawylie

A very OK person
Things I've tried to remove from my talking/writing habits

"Actually,"
"You do realize"
"Everyone knows"

Every sentence I've ever started with these phrases could have had them removed and kept the exact meaning of the sentence without sounding like an a-hole
Removing “actually” is wonderful.

“Actually” is a terrible word and a worse convention. I’ve never once said or heard an “actually” that added anything to conversation.

“You DO realize... right?” is another conversational wet blanket. I won’t tell you what I realize when someone says it.

Oh, and arguing the example/analogy instead of the point. I hate that one too. Practically makes metaphor worthless and almost always invites an “actually.” I can make fart noises on my own, thanks.

Now, I’m not gonna say I don’t ever do these things. I’m as awful as the next person. I try to avoid this crap, though, so if you catch me slipping, please feel free.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases