“You do realize”

Bawylie

A very OK person
Other red flags that I've come across...

"To be honest..." (as opposed to, what?)
"I'm sorry but..." (...but you aren't really apologizing.)
"If I can play the devil's advocate..." (No. The devil doesn't need advocacy.)
"I don't wanna sound ____ but..." (...but I'm gonna anyway.)
“Big Yikes”
You just posted cringe
“Oof”

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Removing “actually” is wonderful.

“Actually” is a terrible word and a worse convention. I’ve never once said or heard an “actually” that added anything to conversation.

“You DO realize... right?” is another conversational wet blanket. I won’t tell you what I realize when someone says it.

Oh, and arguing the example/analogy instead of the point. I hate that one too. Practically makes metaphor worthless and almost always invites an “actually.” I can make fart noises on my own, thanks.

Now, I’m not gonna say I don’t ever do these things. I’m as awful as the next person. I try to avoid this crap, though, so if you catch me slipping, please feel free.
They're filler words like "um" or "like," without abruptly breaking the flow of conversation and making it look like you're just trying to capture your moment.

They sometimes are prevalent in someone's life that they pick them up in speech without think, then they'll apply it to their texts.

As for metaphors(usually similes), I use them alot because I understand new things based on previously known things or easier to follow things easier. Raising something to a power is like multiplying it a number of times equal to those many times. I know how to multiply 3 by itself 3 times, so 3^3 is easy to understand and I get a basic understanding. There's some nuances, though. It doesn't make sense to multiply 3 by itself 2.5 times yet 3^2.5 exists.

So a metaphor isn't meant to substitute the required knowledge being given, it's to create a basis for the new information. In the case of discussion, a basis to be shared. "Asking a person to dodge a bullet is like asking a monkey to fly." The basis to be shared is that asking something to do an impossible action is ridiculous. We know asking a monkey to fly is ridiculous but we're establishing that it's a similar premise. It doesn't really work for this metaphor for the reason that there's no real reason to establish a similarity (we probably also know how ridiculous it is to ask a person to dodge a bullet) and the I don't have a point to establishing the basis. I'm saying it's ridiculous but not saying why, and saying it's ridiculous in more words, too.

Which is why metaphors must be used carefully in a discussion. The connection needs to be both clear and relevant and needs to have an actual point, otherwise people will be stuck on the fact that "nobody is asking a monkey to fly in the first place."

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Other red flags that I've come across...

"To be honest..." (as opposed to, what?)
"I'm sorry but..." (...but you aren't really apologizing.)
"If I can play the devil's advocate..." (No. The devil doesn't need advocacy.)
"I don't wanna sound ____ but..." (...but I'm gonna anyway.)
I'm sorry but to be honest, I don't wanna sound like I'm playing the devil's advocate but actually, you just posted big yikes cringe. Oof.

Bawylie

A very OK person
They're filler words like "um" or "like," without abruptly breaking the flow of conversation and making it look like you're just trying to capture your moment.

They sometimes are prevalent in someone's life that they pick them up in speech without think, then they'll apply it to their texts.

As for metaphors(usually similes), I use them alot because I understand new things based on previously known things or easier to follow things easier. Raising something to a power is like multiplying it a number of times equal to those many times. I know how to multiply 3 by itself 3 times, so 3^3 is easy to understand and I get a basic understanding. There's some nuances, though. It doesn't make sense to multiply 3 by itself 2.5 times yet 3^2.5 exists.

So a metaphor isn't meant to substitute the required knowledge being given, it's to create a basis for the new information. In the case of discussion, a basis to be shared. "Asking a person to dodge a bullet is like asking a monkey to fly." The basis to be shared is that asking something to do an impossible action is ridiculous. We know asking a monkey to fly is ridiculous but we're establishing that it's a similar premise. It doesn't really work for this metaphor for the reason that there's no real reason to establish a similarity (we probably also know how ridiculous it is to ask a person to dodge a bullet) and the I don't have a point to establishing the basis. I'm saying it's ridiculous but not saying why, and saying it's ridiculous in more words, too.

Which is why metaphors must be used carefully in a discussion. The connection needs to be both clear and relevant and needs to have an actual point, otherwise people will be stuck on the fact that "nobody is asking a monkey to fly in the first place."
LoL, nice

Oh but that reminds me of another one:
Person 1: “I don’t care for X”
Person 2: “oh you don’t like X? Well X! X X X!”

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You do realize that I'm trying to cast Enhanced Intelligence on you when I say that, don't you? It's actually for your own good.

What do you mean, "That only exists in the game" ?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
LoL, nice

Oh but that reminds me of another one:
Person 1: “I don’t care for X”
Person 2: “oh you don’t like X? Well X! X X X!”
Man, that would annoy me so much that I'd probably give that person 10 dollars via Patreon and call them extremely pretty. That would definitely show those people with their messing around and their cracking jokes.

Remove ads