D&D 3E/3.5 

Shiroiken

Legend
Do you have anything to eliminate the death spiral? One of the big issues we found with 3E is that if you died and got raised you lost a level. This meant that if you continued to adventure with the same group you were much more likely to die again, putting you 2 levels behind. Repeat until the player quits entirely.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ah, the heartbreak of the fantasy heartbreaker.

And there is something about 3E/d20 that makes you want to tinker.

I also get the d20/olderD&D mashup. But I think we have those. Though I guess we could have one more.

Still, given the OPs preferences, its seems like either 2e or 5e would be an easier basis for this kind of home-brewing.

Malfi

Explorer
Even with the core books only, the back half of fighter is a terribly lackluster set of levels.

That class was hit hardest by the “you should be taking a prestige class” design aesthetic.

In the normal game yes, since feats are badly designed and it also has the typical problems of 3rd edition martials.
In this case it could end up being too strong in certain aspects, level 20 with +21 strength from class features +14 strength from feats and all saves good can be too much if you play the game as intended.

Edit: For some reason I though I posted this yesterday, but it never got through.

Even with the core books only, the back half of fighter is a terribly lackluster set of levels.
IMHO, the highest levels in D&D are a lot less fun than the lower to mid levels. That’s especially true for 3.5e (whichI DM), where level 13 or so is around the playable max, I find.

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
IMHO, the highest levels in D&D are a lot less fun than the lower to mid levels. That’s especially true for 3.5e (whichI DM), where level 13 or so is around the playable max, I find.
I'd agree with that, but at least back when it was the current new hotness so many people wanted to go to 20 and beyond.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Nothing wrong with doing something like this just for kicks. I had wasted a bit of time trying to make 1e versions of the dragonborn, tiefling, and sorcerer. Then I thought "hey, how about prestige classes?" and had just finished the assassin when I had to stop due to laughing too hard.

Remove ads