D&D 3E/3.5 

Sithlord

Adventurer
It’s not something I would do. But if you had a cool adventure and were ready to play i would sit down and play the game and have fun with it. Play it and see how you like it.

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
Fighters still seem terribly weak, even with these tweaks. Why would you persist in fighter past level 8 or so?

GreyLord

Legend
I would say, instead of just 3e core, add in Unearthed Arcana to your list. It has options which answers a few of your "problems" already, and the work was already done.

For example, for level dependent XP it lists as follows

1 - 0
2- 1000
3 - 3000
4 - 6000
5 - 10000
6 - 16000
7 - 24000
8 - 36000

all the way to 20th which requires 2,600,000 XP to level up.

Meanwhile Monsters also off XP in

CR
1 - 300
2 - 600
3 - 900
4 - 1200
5 - 1800
6 - 2400
7 - 3600
8 - 4800

And so on.

it has alternate ways to craft magic items and items (for example Craft Points) and various other alternate rules which could combine nicely into your way of thinking without having to come up with your own ideas.

It doesn't have an alternate feat system (though it does have a return to the original Multi-classing of AD&D in a way, though to really make it work with single classes alongside Gestalt, you would probably need to double the XP each level for the Gestalt rather than keep the same XP tables).

Lots of options in UA.

Malfi

Explorer
It’s not something I would do. But if you had a cool adventure and were ready to play i would sit down and play the game and have fun with it. Play it and see how you like it.

Agreed, that's always the case. As the op states, the vast majority of players, woudn't even care.

Fighters still seem terribly weak, even with these tweaks. Why would you persist in fighter past level 8 or so?

Nah they are fine for what the op is going for, you are propably thinking about tiers and what not, propably not 3.0 and splatbooks allowed. The fact is they will do ok vs monsters with support and again that's obviously what the op is going for

I would say, instead of just 3e core, add in Unearthed Arcana to your list. It has options which answers a few of your "problems" already, and the work was already done.

For example, for level dependent XP it lists as follows

1 - 0
2- 1000
3 - 3000
4 - 6000
5 - 10000
6 - 16000
7 - 24000
8 - 36000

all the way to 20th which requires 2,600,000 XP to level up.

Meanwhile Monsters also off XP in

CR
1 - 300
2 - 600
3 - 900
4 - 1200
5 - 1800
6 - 2400
7 - 3600
8 - 4800

And so on.

it has alternate ways to craft magic items and items (for example Craft Points) and various other alternate rules which could combine nicely into your way of thinking without having to come up with your own ideas.

It doesn't have an alternate feat system (though it does have a return to the original Multi-classing of AD&D in a way, though to really make it work with single classes alongside Gestalt, you would probably need to double the XP each level for the Gestalt rather than keep the same XP tables).

Lots of options in UA.

These are the rules used in first post, just making it harder to level (double every level instead of every 2), to emulate old school play and soft cap the game at level 10.

Check out Blood & Treasure
Check out Castles & Crusades
Check out Advanced D&D 3rd edition
Check out 3.Y

I think these will both give you a lot of inspiration, and save you a lot of work.

Malfi

Explorer
Check out Blood & Treasure
Check out Castles & Crusades
Check out Advanced D&D 3rd edition
Check out 3.Y

I think these will both give you a lot of inspiration, and save you a lot of work.
Of all of these, with exception of 3.Y, none really emulates 3rd edition much.
3.Y also has its problems, one being that at high levels monsters are insentivised to provoke attack of oppurtunities to avoid your full attack after bab +16 or so.
But more so 3.Y still uses feats and skills as is, which raises the complexity that the op tries to avoid.

The special combat maneuvers thing the OP mentions is really more of an issue with the attacks of opportunity system than with feats

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
Nah they are fine for what the op is going for, you are propably thinking about tiers and what not, propably not 3.0 and splatbooks allowed. The fact is they will do ok vs monsters with support and again that's obviously what the op is going for
Even with the core books only, the back half of fighter is a terribly lackluster set of levels.

That class was hit hardest by the “you should be taking a prestige class” design aesthetic.

Remove ads