Spelljammer …Wait till you see Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage (Spelljammer?)

With the cryptic line "If you think Waterdeep: Dragon Heist is full of fun surprises, wait till you see Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage", WotC's Chris Perkins has shared an image from the upcoming sequel to Dragon Heist, due out November 13th.

madmage.jpg

There is the start of level 19 from Waterdeep: DotMM. It involves a crashed Spelljammer, where the crew is hiding out in an ooze-filled cavern to escape their hungry mindflayer captain. It is for 4 15-level PCs, who should be 16th-level if they don't become ooze or mindflayer food. Mindflayers and oozes are like peanut butter and jelly that eats you.

In the city of Waterdeep rests a tavern called the Yawning Portal, named after the gaping pit in its common room. At the bottom of this crumbling shaft is a labyrinthine dungeon shunned by all but the most daring adventurers. Known as Undermountain, this dungeon is the domain of the mad wizard Halaster Blackcloak. Long has the Mad Mage dwelt in these forlorn depths, seeding his lair with monsters, traps, and mysteries—to what end is a constant source of speculation and concern.

This adventure picks up where Waterdeep: Dragon Heistleaves off, taking characters of 5th level or higher all the way to 20th level should they explore the entirety of Halaster’s home. Twenty-three levels of Undermountain are detailed herein, along with the subterranean refuge of Skullport. Treasures and secrets abound, but tread with care!

dotmm.jpg

Attachments

• madmage.jpg
    madmage.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 34,418
  • dotmm.jpg
    dotmm.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 6,120
Last edited by a moderator:

Bitbrain

Glory to Ka!
Certainly looking forward to DotMM.

Assuming my Dark Sun-type homebrew campaign is a success, I've been thinking that my next campaign might be based on the old Exile: Escape from the Pit computer game by spiderweb software.

In which case, an adventure path detailing ~23 levels of a cave system will be a great help.

machineelf

Explorer
This makes it look like this is more of an adventure through Undermountain rather than a complete guidebook on it (which I didn't think could be done in a single book anyway). This makes me a bit less excited about it, honestly. Still excited, but less so. I guess I'll have to collate all the previous material myself to have a complete conversion of the entire Undermountain.

Sadras

Legend
5e is producing some excellent material and this excerpt is just more of the same quality that is making this very much a lasting edition for our table. And the artwork, damn inspiring.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
This looks very promising and I can't wait to read thru it.
[MENTION=6774924]machineelf[/MENTION] Maybe they offer a map of the Undermountain level and a short adventure to run in it?

machineelf

Explorer
This looks very promising and I can't wait to read thru it.
@machineelf Maybe they offer a map of the Undermountain level and a short adventure to run in it?

Well, Undermountain is 8 or 9 main levels, and multiple sub-levels. It's HUGE. I thought they had made the claim that this book would cover all of the levels. I took that to mean, it would cover them all exhaustively, which frankly would be impossible in a single book without cutting major corners. It looks like it's going to be more of an adventure that gives you a little glimpse of each level, but isn't going to be a sourcebook of the entire Undermountain.

I still think the adventure should be fun (hopefully), but it isn't quite what I was hoping for. Ah well.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...Profile.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100218032659

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Well, Undermountain is 8 or 9 main levels, and multiple sub-levels. It's HUGE. I thought they had made the claim that this book would cover all of the levels. I took that to mean, it would cover them all exhaustively, which frankly would be impossible in a single book without cutting major corners. It looks like it's going to be more of an adventure that gives you a little glimpse of each level, but isn't going to be a sourcebook of the entire Undermountain.

I still think the adventure should be fun (hopefully), but it isn't quite what I was hoping for. Ah well.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...Profile.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100218032659

Yah you are right I get what you mean. It seems at most it will be a quick gazeteer.

machineelf

Explorer
Huge sprawling megadungeons are supposed to have room for whatever the DM decides to include.

Who made that rule?

I'm not a big fan of mega-dungeons usually, although I don't mind one existing in the world with a history like undermountain. The largeness of it is part of the lore; something the adventures can get lost in if they choose to, but it's completely optional.

But if someone is going to publish a dungeon, whether large or small, give all the details. I can always change whatever I want as a DM, but I don't, frankly, get the idea that you're going to publish something incomplete for the DM to complete it. That's just me, though. Opinions differ.

R_J_K75

Hero
I have run Undermountain adventures in various editions. Problem I had was that it was just too big. The prepublished adventures were too linear and just letting your players roam wherever they wanted to was tough because so much of the dungeon isnt detailed. I found the only way to manage it was to section off and detail certain parts at a time, which the old boxed sets give you enough ideas to do. Probably what Ill end up doing with this book as well.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Exhaustively detailing something like Undermountain is counter productive I think. Huge sprawling megadungeons are supposed to have room for whatever the DM decides to include.

The 1,875 backers who pledged $165,722 on Kickstarted to bring FGG's Rapan Athuk to 5e disagree.

Reynard

Legend
The 1,875 backers who pledged $165,722 on Kickstarted to bring FGG's Rapan Athuk to 5e disagree.
Rapan Athuk isn't a megadungeon. It is a big awesome dungeon for sure, and lots of fun, but the term "megadungeon" has specific connotations. One of those connotations is that it is never finished.

dave2008

Legend

I am not sure where you got your information, but it has always been an adventure for 5th-20th level characters first and foremost. It was never claimed to be sourcebook for Undermountain. At least not be WotC, I am sure some forum poster's jumped to that conclusion (like OotA is a "sourcebook" for the UnderdarK)

Visit Our Sponsor

The Weather Outside Is Frightful!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4