Spelljammer …Wait till you see Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage (Spelljammer?)

Is that Boo the space-hamster I see?

Is that Boo the space-hamster I see?

With the cryptic line "If you think Waterdeep: Dragon Heist is full of fun surprises, wait till you see Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage", WotC's Chris Perkins has shared an image from the upcoming sequel to Dragon Heist, due out November 13th.

madmage.jpg

There is the start of level 19 from Waterdeep: DotMM. It involves a crashed Spelljammer, where the crew is hiding out in an ooze-filled cavern to escape their hungry mindflayer captain. It is for 4 15-level PCs, who should be 16th-level if they don't become ooze or mindflayer food. Mindflayers and oozes are like peanut butter and jelly that eats you.

In the city of Waterdeep rests a tavern called the Yawning Portal, named after the gaping pit in its common room. At the bottom of this crumbling shaft is a labyrinthine dungeon shunned by all but the most daring adventurers. Known as Undermountain, this dungeon is the domain of the mad wizard Halaster Blackcloak. Long has the Mad Mage dwelt in these forlorn depths, seeding his lair with monsters, traps, and mysteries—to what end is a constant source of speculation and concern.

This adventure picks up where Waterdeep: Dragon Heistleaves off, taking characters of 5th level or higher all the way to 20th level should they explore the entirety of Halaster’s home. Twenty-three levels of Undermountain are detailed herein, along with the subterranean refuge of Skullport. Treasures and secrets abound, but tread with care!

dotmm.jpg

Attachments

• madmage.jpg
    madmage.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 35,431
  • dotmm.jpg
    dotmm.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 6,305
Last edited by a moderator:

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Certainly looking forward to DotMM.

Assuming my Dark Sun-type homebrew campaign is a success, I've been thinking that my next campaign might be based on the old Exile: Escape from the Pit computer game by spiderweb software.

In which case, an adventure path detailing ~23 levels of a cave system will be a great help.

machineelf

Explorer
This makes it look like this is more of an adventure through Undermountain rather than a complete guidebook on it (which I didn't think could be done in a single book anyway). This makes me a bit less excited about it, honestly. Still excited, but less so. I guess I'll have to collate all the previous material myself to have a complete conversion of the entire Undermountain.

Sadras

Legend
5e is producing some excellent material and this excerpt is just more of the same quality that is making this very much a lasting edition for our table. And the artwork, damn inspiring.

Remove ads

Remove ads