D&D General ‪What does the word “dire”‬ mean to you?

What does Dire mean?

• Better (bigger, more ferocious), American

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • Better (bigger, more ferocious), British

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Worse (poor, rubbish, inferior), American

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Worse (poor, rubbish, inferior), British

Votes: 12 16.7%

Yeah I always did wonder where the word Warg/Worg came from
It came from Norse mythology, vargr.
I’be made that connection as well, although clearly D&D worgs are meant to be the stand-in for Tolkien wargs.
Most edition D&D monster manuals feature both wargs and dire wolves. In D&D terms, the warg is an intelligent monster that resembles a wolf, whereas the dire wolf is a bigger tougher animal (although the real world dire wolf was not much bigger than a modern grey wolf).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To me, dire means "dreadful." A dire wolf is a dreadful wolf...one that is bigger, tougher, and more ferocious than your garden-variety wolf. So I voted "better," and I speak American English.

It is almost like what a word means depends on the context in which it is used!

JeffB

Legend
In D&D it means silly naming conventions that someone thought would sound Edgy & Kewl

Otherwise it means "Bad"
Dire Straits= We are in deep :poop:
That show was "Dire"= That show was :poop:

American- Ancestry pre-US Colonial English and Pre 20th Century Italian Immigrant. Born South of the Mason Dixon Line. Currently lost in the 666 layers of the Abyss*

*AKA New England.

Laurefindel

Legend
Canadian here.
I voted Better (more ferocious) American version. But frankly, it is entirely contextual. Both meanings are possible. It depends on the word position in the sentence and the context.
Canadian too, so I'm not sure whether my English can be better described as American or British. I write "theatre", but I also eat at McDonald's... Lets go with "American".

I've always used "dire" as "worse" or "worst", which depending on context can mean "more" or "less" but always in ways that makes it bad news for the subject. As in a dire wolf is not worse at fighting than a regular wolf, but fighting a dire wolf would be a worse situation - at least for me - than opposing a regular wolf. I guess that put's me in the "bigger, more ferocious" category.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Another Canadian here. While written Canadian English takes some conventions from British English and others from American English I'd say that in terms of general spoken usage we're closer to American. With the shorter distance there's more exposure through travel and media consumption. Bonus fun fact: The Quebec French accent has drifted so much that Quebec produced films are often subtitled in France-French.

I voted for dire to mean better/bigger. When you talk of dire consequences you are usually describing the magnitude of the consequences as larger. And in my mind a dire situation describes a situation with dire consequences which therefore describes a situation with large consequences.

Maestrino

Explorer
American and extensive reader here. I interpret "dire" as not just "bad" but "extraordinarily bad".

So in one sense a dire situation is a very bad, urgent situation. And in another sense a dire wolf is an extraordinarily bad (i.e. dangerous) wolf, which is different than the British interpretation of being very bad at being a wolf... in which case a beagle is also indeed a very dire wolf.

Remove ads