D&D 5E 07/30/2013 - Wandering Monsters : Bound Elementals

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Let’s continue the exploration of elementals by going over three that could be bound into service: invisible stalkers, water weirds, and elemental myrmidons. Come see what James reveals about current thinking on these creatures.

Follow the link for more information!

P.s: Please tell me if you still can't read my posts on the black background, I have no idea why it's happening...
:(

Warder

Last edited:

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Personally I like it, TBH I like everything they are doing so far in regard to the outer planes, in my games they were always the cool exotic places that never fitted into any of our sessions but the current direction is one I really like.

I like the fact that an invisible stalker do one job and just disappear when he is done and I like the idea that the longer the task take the more insane that Stalker become.

The Water Weird is a creature I never used but, once again, giving it a clear connection as a guardian is something that I can't wait to try.

And last, I really like the Elemental Myrmidons, I like the name, it's evocative and I like the idea behind them of them being those shock troops that a magic user can use to make wars, I can clearly see a game plot where an elemental prince (Imix) use his cult to raise an army of those to invade the prime material plane.

Warder

MarkB

Legend
I like the Myrmidons better than the other two. The concept of binding an elemental into an object and using it to animate that object sits better with me than the concept of twisting an elemental into a specific form. I see no reason why Invisible Stalkers or Water Weirds shouldn't exist in their given form in the wild.

P.s: Please tell me if you still can't read my posts on the black background, I have no idea why it's happening... :(

Warder

Oddly enough, the text in your first post is still coming out black-on-black, but the text in your second post is displaying normally.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I think the Invisible Stalker, Water Weird and Elemental Myrmidon's description were good enought.

I prefer if the Invisible Stalker was able to do only a single task per summoning, no matter ow long it takes.

I also like the classic of the Water Weird version best.

Finally, i prefer Archon name to Elemental Myrmidon.

Klaus

First Post
I liked 'em all. And I like the name "elemental myrmidon" (although the slave-like aspect of the creature could also warrant the name "elemental mamluk", which would jive well with the Arabic-inspired genies).

And the water weird will forever remind me of this cover:

Dungeon_of_Dread.jpg

CM

Adventurer
Not a fan of the name Elemental Myrmidon, but I guess I'm in the minority.

If "Archon" needs to revert back to the celestials for 5e, I'd prefer a name like:

Elemental Drudge
Elemental Vassal
Shackled Elemental

JasonZZ

Explorer
Supporter
I kind of like the idea for the invisible stalker and water weird (although I still want some room for the oracular version from 3E). They really missed the boat on the elemental archons, though (and I'm not fond of the new name). An important part of elemental archons was the fact that they have their own agendas and goals, which were not particularly mortal-friendly. It's true that they were reshaped elementals, but not only were they not mere servants, they were not particularly inclined to serve.

Kinak

First Post
Not a fan of the name Elemental Myrmidon, but I guess I'm in the minority.
It's worth mentioning their survey question wasn't very granular.

I, for example, am glad they're not using "archon" for that anymore but am not particularly sold on Myrmidon. So, you might see a weird variety of results based on peoples response to "archon."

Cheers!
Kinak

Remove ads