1 Million Swords

Warehouse23

First Post
This reminds me of the background rules for Traveller. *Rolls* Curses, my sword died before it ever got a chance to be wielded.

That being said, neat table. This would lend itself beautifully to being a widget for a lap-top enabled GM (especially if someone plugged in a largish random string of words for the "dictionary").

I'm totally making an adventure about the War on Skulls. :D

= = =

raw output:[sblock]Blood-Bane, forged by goblinoids, first wielded by a commoner/serf, during Defense/service of forger's/owner's nation/race/religion, owner Died in battle, re-appears Of its own accord, most recently wielded by Infamous Figure, sought by Infamous Figure[/sblock]

spiffed up:[sblock]Bloodbane, a +1 wounding shortsword

It was forged by the hobgoblin smith Grokhar for the use of his chieftain, but the chief died at the hands of The Company of the Red Kestrel (an adventuring party) before he could use it. A loyal hobgoblin tribe-member picked up the weapon to avenge his leader, but he too was cut down in the battle.

Bloodbane then passed out of history for a time; there is no record of the Kestrels every using or selling the weapon. It surfaced again in the hands of the gnoll priestess Yug-Anark, who uses it in a mostly ceremonial capacity (her spells being more powerful). Rumors exist that Kharat, a descendant of Grokhar, seeks to recover the blade -- to see it returned to hobgoblin hands. This may explain the recent skirmishes between those two humanoid races, skirmishes that could erupt into outright warfare.[/sblock]

fissionessence

First Post
Do you mind if I use this for a magic axe instead? :p

Thousands of years ago, the battleaxe Heartdrinker was forged by the great dragon Jygostraszos as a gift to the serpent avatar Rinthikekt in their mutual war against the death god Zanal-Yazar. Rinthikekt, having little need of such a weapon herself, granted use of it to the champion of her armies, who wielded it bravely in the war against the death god's undead, demons and shadar-kai.

After a particular failure, the champion was stripped Heartdrinker by Rinthikekt as punishment. The man worked for years to regain his honor, and was able to do so in one of the final victorious battles against the death god's forces. He was not, however, forgiven completely or granted again the use of the weapon, and he spent the rest of his life in shame.

After several hundred years, Rinthikekt again began building her forces, and took the weapon from storage as a gift to her new favorite commander. The internal strife of the serpent's underlings, however, has caused many deaths and many changing-of-hands of the storied battleaxe. Even now, one subordinate of Rinthikekt seeks to 'relieve' another agent of Heardrinker in hopes of improving his own standing with the self-proclaimed goddess of secrets, trickery and lies.

~

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
This reminds me of something that was in one of the gaming mags many a year ago. Might have been Dragon, but I think it was Different Worlds. It had colors, what it was made of, and other details, but not who forged it, etc.. (Unfortunately I had to sell off my collection. :.-() Nicely done.

benjamin

Explorer
Personalised magic items... good...

Hi,

Great stuff you've written... consider it MINE... :)
It's funny I expected an automated excel sheet or something... but it's actually much better doing it by hand, because it forces you to take a moment and actually create something that makes a certain amount of sense!

At the end of "Red hand of doom" (current fav module) it recomends you give personalised magic items as rewards to the characters...

...I did a whole ceremony and all, with speaches and cheering, and chanting and wot not... the players loved it... after so much gruling battle...

I described each item to the party as a part of the speaches, and let them test them out (have a bit of a swing etc) to discover the properties... then I handed them a sheet of paper detailing the specifics... Each item was specifically taylored to the particular character strength's, and to the player's roleplay style

It was a good thing...

Below I've pasted the stuff I handed them...

Shard of Pelor
The silver handle of this beautiful weapon is engraved with incredibly intricate fretwork. Swirling patterns of fiery sunlight form a sure grip and at the axe head a glimmering golden motif of Pelor. But the most unusual thing about this weapon is the blade itself. Seemingly carved from a single piece clouded yellowish crystal, it looks brittle indeed, but it is not.
As you heft the blade, you notice how extraordinarily well balanced it is, as if the blade itself is anticipating your movements. As you swing the blade the suddenly flares into light with ominous holy power.
This weapon feels like it has arrived home into the hands of a worthy holy warrior.

+ 1 Holy Battle Axe
The holy power of this weapon makes it good-aligned and thus bypasses the corresponding damage reduction.
It deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against all of evil alignment.
It bestows one negative level on any evil creature attempting to wield it. The negative level remains as long as the weapon is in hand and disappears when the weapon is no longer wielded. This negative level never results in actual level loss, but it cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the weapon is wielded.
When wielded by a Paladin of Pelor and used to smite Evil the blade flares with an enormous sunlight burst of light. The target of the smite and any creature looking at the Paladin must make a reflex save (DC 20) to cover their eyes or become blinded for one round.
A blinded character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armour Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character.

Axe of Raptor Fleetness

The handle of this strangely primitive looking weapon is seemingly simply the polished branch of some gnarled dark wooded tree. The haphazard curves of this handle make the weapon look difficult to wield, but when you heft the weapon it seems the nooks and crannies of the handle seem perfectly placed for your hands. When you swing the weapon through the air, it seems to accelerate as it swings, cutting through the air as if nothing would stop it. Before you even realise the weapon is back at you shoulder ready to swing again.
But that is not the strangest thing about this weapon; the blade is truly peculiar. Each side of the axe is formed by multiple curved talons of some mighty giant eagle. The talons have been worked down to a magically razor sharp edge, and aligned to create just enough serration to make the weapon look truly lethal.

+1 Axe of Speed.
When making a full attack action, the wielder of a this weapon may make one extra attack with it. The attack uses the wielder’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation.
(This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.)

Tritticor Oath Bow

This bone white gracefully curved composite longbow, is decorated with beautifully intricate patterns picked out in brilliant gold. Weaving in and out of the sweeping lines elven figures seem to momentarily appear, but then as you look more closely they fade from perception.
This +2 composite longbow (+2 Str bonus) whispers “Swift defeat to my enemies” in Elven when nocked and pulled.
Once per day, if the firer swears aloud to slay her target (a free action), the bow’s whisper becomes the low shout “Swift death to those who have wronged me.” Against such a sworn enemy, the bow has a +5 enhancement bonus, and arrows launched from it deal an additional 2d6 points of damage (and x4 on a critical hit instead of the normal x3). However, the bow is treated as only a masterwork weapon against all foes other than the sworn enemy, and the wielder takes a –1 penalty on attack rolls with any weapon other than the oathbow. These bonuses and penalties last for seven days or until the sworn enemy is slain or destroyed by the wielder of the oathbow, whichever comes first.
The oathbow may only have one sworn enemy at a time. Once the wielder swears to slay a target, she cannot make a new oath until she has slain that target or seven days have passed. Even if the wielder slays the sworn enemy on the same day that she makes the oath, she cannot activate the oathbow’s special power again until 24 hours have passed from the time she made the oath.

Lady Kaal’s Fire Armour

This deeply red stained armour smells of hot flames, but feels strangely cool to the touch. On the outside the leather has been worked into fabulously stylish dark red curves. Perfect for stealth and silent and pliable this is truly the gorgeous armour you have always wanted. Upon looking at the inside you discover something strange. All the surfaces that touch the wearer are rendered with light blue icelike dye. This armour has been handed through the Kaal family for several generations, and though it seems incredibly well maintained, you can tell that it has seen much action, not the least of which has been repeated fire ballings.

+ 2 Fire resistance armour
This suit of armour absorbs the first 10 points of fire damage per attack that the wearer would normally take (similar to the resist energy spell).

Cool huh?!

Ben

Want incredibly atmospheric background
soundscapes for your gaming table?

Go to:
www.syrinscape.com

Download for free!
See a program demo, and listen to mp3s
of Syrinscape in action.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads