D&D 5E +1 sword or Flame Tongue- or both?

aco175

Legend
I think I will give out +0 flametongue that only does +1d6 fire damage. As an additional power if can cast burning hands and scorching ray one per rest. I may kick the damage on burning hands by an additional 1d6 to make it better going into higher levels, since at 11th level even cantrips do 3d-something. I could also skip scorching ray and have it be a warhammer with the thrown property and range 20/40.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The group is powerful enough to start upping the power of their weapons (hitting 10th level). I could give out a +2 weapon but are wondering of something cooler is better. I was thinking of +1 Flame Tongue, but didn't know if it needs +1 to make it worth while. I know 5e does not need to scale and such, but is a +0 Flame Tongue or something similar cool enough to trade in +1 basic with a daily power to screech a 30ft cone for 3d6 damage.

Power wise, the fighter has a large enough To-Hit and the +1 may not be needed, but taking away 1 by trading in his +1 sword may not be the best. I know another player may take the sword and giving the players a choice is up to them to handle their characters, but I was just looking for opinions. Cheers

#1. "Cooler" is always better. Given the option and opportunity, as a DM, always go for "cooler."

#2. Everyone seems to have covered the "give them a Flame Tongue. +'s are unnecessary." pretty well. Plus a few other interesting (and potentially cool) variations on that theme all of which would make for a more interesting treasure (and game as a whole) than an additional +1 to a sword that's already giving extra damage...and is already considered magical for the purposes of hitting "mundane weapon immune/resistant" creatures.

#3. See #2.

Satyrn

First Post
I think I will give out +0 flametongue that only does +1d6 fire damage. As an additional power if can cast burning hands and scorching ray one per rest. I may kick the damage on burning hands by an additional 1d6 to make it better going into higher levels, since at 11th level even cantrips do 3d-something. I could also skip scorching ray and have it be a warhammer with the thrown property and range 20/40.

What about -
firebolt at will instead of scorching ray (and scales by the wielder's level like a cantrip)
Has, let's say, 5 charges.

Spend 2 charges to create a fan of fire (looks like burning hands), deals damage equal to the firebolt.
Spend 1 or 2 charges to create 1 or 2 additional firebolts when using firebolt
Spend 1 charge on a hit with the sword or a firebolt to set the target on fire.

Recharge 1d4+1 charges each day, etc.

jgsugden

Legend
The lack of an array of fun magic weapons in 5e is one of my only real disappointments in the system and books. So far I've given out exactly zero magic weapons straight from the books in my games as treasure. Every weapon I hand out is handcrafted to be interesting and fun. There is a huge range of things they can add to the game that would be fun, especially if your PC doesn't use a sword. Almost all magic weapons in the DMG are swords.

Hayato

Explorer
+2 Greatsword is always better than Flame Tongue Greatsword. Because having +2 on hit is equal to hit two times when you wouldn't hit.

Flame Tongue is a great item for a fighter, but even on him I prefer a +1 weapon with minor propriety like Beacon (the bearer can use a bonus action to cause the item to shed bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet, or to extinguish the light) or Guardian (the item whispers warnings to it's bearer, granting a +2 bonus to initiative if the bearer isn't incapacitated). Something like "score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20" work too and seems fun to me.

For example:

Greatsword of Fallen Star
Rare item, requires attunement.
You gain +1 on attack and damage rolls made with this magical weapon.
Shining Star. You can use a bonus action to cause the sword to shed bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet, or to extinguish the light.
Stardurst Power. You score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. The extra dice deals radiant damage.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Unfortunately +2d6 translates to 25 bonus damage at double digit levels. Monsters can't cope with that as written.

Only hand this out to a weak group; in the hands of a competent player group monsters melt like butter.

Oofta

Legend
Unfortunately +2d6 translates to 25 bonus damage at double digit levels. Monsters can't cope with that as written.

Only hand this out to a weak group; in the hands of a competent player group monsters melt like butter.

Or, just, I dunno. Throw more/tougher monsters at the group until the threat level is appropriate for the group. Throw in the occasional monster that is immune to fire. Adjust the game slightly to fit the group.

I know. Crazy talk.

Remove ads