• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

100 Iconic Fantasy Magic Items

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Not sure if these have been mentioned, but...

Soul-holding object: Ala the lich's phylactery, or the various creatures/items which held Koschei's soul.

Religious relic: An object once used by/associated with a prominent religious figure, or even the mummified/preserved body part of said religious figure. The Holy Grail, Ark of the Covenant, and the Spear of Destiny are fine examples of objects, whereas bones of the saints are good examples of body remnants. The Hand and Eye of Vecna fit in this category (initially sans the religious context in prior editions).

Shapechanger's skin/cloak: The animal skin worn by a shapeshifter that allows them to assume their animal form.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I actually consciously avoided the One Ring, and the Neibelung ring had aspects of some of the others I mentioned, so I didn't feel it necessary.

Abraxas

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
What does the 'horn of Gabriel' do, aside from be tooted by an angel? Thanks, still. :)
Knocks down the walls of Jericho. It also has infinite surface area but encloses a finite volume.

And then there's the Horn of Athanael - which blows at midnight.

Doctorfunk_15

First Post
Sorry I don't have anything to add to the list, but I've been looking all over the net for more information on something and I notice that you've mentioned it in this thread.

I've been looking for information on the magic items that connect or bind two people in some way. You all seem to be very knowledgable and I was wondering what all you guys can tell me about this sort of thing or if you can lead me to examples or stories with items like this.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out with this. I'm actually writing a story with a concept like this(magic item that connects two people in some way) and I'm trying to work out how exactly I want it to work in my story and I'm just trying to do some research about how people have done it in the past. Maybe you all could help me brainstorm a little!

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Did not see these on the list:

Sword that shines in the presence of orcs (or other enemy - aka Sting)

the Singing Sword

Ruby red slippers of return

Magic Hewl-met (you have to sing it like Bugs and Elmer!)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I've been looking for information on the magic items that connect or bind two people in some way.
62. Doll made of a person, and whatever you do to the doll happens to the person.
European Fever Dolls, and the old English Poppet were dolls used for all kinds of magical purposes. They could heal, bind people together, hurt, serve as a death watch, or act as scapegoats for damage to yourself.

The african Nkisi containers did much the same, though I don't remember if they ever bound people together. They were usually for sexual prowess rather than love. Love was something you had to accomplish yourself.

Then there is the oriental concept of a Red String of Fate which binds people together, but I don't think that's actually an object. It's more like a manifestation of fate.

Doug McCrae

Legend
The One Ring
Stormbringer
Mjolnir
Excalibur
The Holy Grail
Ark of the Covenant
Uriel's flaming sword (the angel set to guard the Garden of Eden)
Aladdin's lamp
Flying carpet
Witch's broomstick
The plot macguffin from any trashy fantasy novel, especially if it's of the 'collect the parts' variety
Magic beans from Jack and the Beanstalk
The Magic Pudding
Wardrobe from 'The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe'
The Pillar of Life from H Rider Haggard's She
The Luggage from Terry Pratchett
Jekyll and Hyde potion
Love potion, such as the one in A Midsummer Night's Dream
Lightsabre
Captain America's shield
Green Lantern's ring
Kryptonite (or Balder's mistletoe)
Harry Potter's wand
Hades cap of invisibility, given to Perseus
Siegfried's cloak of invisibility
The Ring from Wagner's Ring Cycle
Siegfried's 'sword which was broken', Nothung, from Wagner's Ring Cycle
Seven league boots
The Golem
Crystal ball
Size-changing food and drink from Alice in Wonderland

D&D: Flametongue sword, the Hand/Eye of Vecna, the Rod of Seven Parts (or any multi-part macguffin), cursed items, bag of holding, intelligent swords, Deck of Many Things, ring of invisibility, staff of the magi, wand of wonder, ring of three wishes, vorpal sword, holy avenger

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads