1001 Uses for an Immovable Rod

Infiniti2000

First Post
Felix said:
I'm rather suprised that you would rule this.
To be fair, though, I did only offer it as an option, user-designated. Thus, you could use the rods to steady an object within the chest. Kinda like packing material. :)

Yes, the "Immovable" Rod needs to move with a planet's rotation (unless the world is Flat and on the back of four elephants on the back of a turtle, but then it would need to move with him). But to zero-in its relative unmoveableness to anything, even anything "within reason", is a wonderful example of thinking too hard about it; it's an RPG, so rotational velocities shouldn't really enter the argument.
It may be thinking too hard about it, but then how do you rule using the rod in the astral plane? How about if a really large chunk of rock (say, with a githyanki castle on it) floats by? Can you (a) station the rod so that it's not tied to the rock, or (b) station the rod with respect to the castle to, say, keep the castle door closed?

TheGogmagog

First Post
Christian said:
Twice per round is enough for the trick that was suggested. The question is, how far does one fall between move actions?
"Actually, if you work it out properly (rounding for convienience), a DnD character falls 500ft in the first round then 1000 every round after that. (it actually calculates to 670 and 1276 or something like that)."Quoted from here (We calculated it once, but I didn't feel like doing it again).

Edit: oh, sorry out of context answer, so between move actions, I'd guess 250'. So that's 10d6 of yank your arm off damage twice a round?

Last edited:

serraphin

First Post
"Where does the 3000 come from"

Erm...my useless human fingers. It should be 8000. And you're right, I did the same thing as Laman and was working on stat not bonus - very newbie mistake on my part.

Of course if you're inside a behir and you turn your rod on, then start to hack your way out - I believe that makes it an unnatended magic object :) Which means it'll take 2d8+8 points of bludgeoning damage and 8 points of acid (minimum 18 points of damage). Minus the 10pts of hardness (assuming it's steel), and that's 8 hp per round. So you could buy yourself four rounds. Which is, I guess an expensive but feasable way to try and make an escape!

Another use though:

Never let your horse wander off again! Trying to sneak up that castle wall, but don't want your warhorse to wander - tie it to an immovable rod! Set up a little corral (and just hope no wandering monsters come their way...)!

Or how about the ultimate pit trap? Thoust sneaky heroes may be pushing ahead with a 10ft Pole, but that's less that 8000lbs. However the moment the hero steps on the cleverly secreted button under a pad... the floor stops being suspended and a long drop follows.

Blightersbane

First Post
They hold up your tents/pavilions wondrously
Tie your horses
Use as clothes line both literal and the Longest Yard versions; set in path of hapless charging thug, say just about neck level
Pin opponents against walls, each other, when grappling to the ground
Make it part or a whole spear, brace for charge

Blightersbane

Artoomis

First Post
javcs said:
Just ready an action for when you've fallen 10 ft, to activate the rod.

Unfortunately you cannot do that except for the first 10-foot drop.

You cannot take a move action (deactivate the rod) AND Ready an Action (to re-activate) at the same time.

You could:

1. Deactivate it. Start to fall - falling for one move action's worth of fall (250-feet ?).
2. Wait for your next round and then Ready an Action to activate it once you fall another 10-feet. Of course by that time it is way too late as you have fallen at least 250-feet already. :)

Too bad, it seemed like such a good idea. I guess you really need two of them to pull this off.

Remove ads