1001 Uses for an Immovable Rod

Dracorat

First Post
Because you have to do it after you took the move action. Thus, you are already falling.

And what's this about:
Given that you only have to move more than 5 feet for a move action, I'd say 6 ft?

??

I have seen no such rules. Moving more than five feet is a move action, but not all move actions require movement. (A cadillac is a car, but not all cars are cadillacs)

And the boots idea from above, while nice, have a few flaws. First, it would be incredibly slow. Second, you would require constant balance checks and then once you failed one, you'd flip over, fall, and your boot would remain somewhere you couldn't reach it.

=)

Felix

Explorer
I2k said:
It may be thinking too hard about it, but then how do you rule using the rod in the astral plane? How about if a really large chunk of rock (say, with a githyanki castle on it) floats by? Can you (a) station the rod so that it's not tied to the rock, or (b) station the rod with respect to the castle to, say, keep the castle door closed?
Fix the relative velocities?

If I'm floating around the Astral and a gith-castle-rock is coming my way and I activate it, the rock goes on by and the rod stays where it is.

If the rod is also floating at the same instantaneous velocity of the rock (if I were on the rock and in front of the castle door), then it fixes at that velocity and vector.

But then that would seem inconsistent with being able to activate a rod when falling down a pit since it's moving at a velocity relative to the ground...

Well, I think I'd have it not work on the astral. Make it a peculiarity of the plane that the magic of the rod can't deal with.

Storyteller01

First Post
Artoomis said:
Unfortunately you cannot do that except for the first 10-foot drop.

You cannot take a move action (deactivate the rod) AND Ready an Action (to re-activate) at the same time.

You could:

1. Deactivate it. Start to fall - falling for one move action's worth of fall (250-feet ?).
2. Wait for your next round and then Ready an Action to activate it once you fall another 10-feet. Of course by that time it is way too late as you have fallen at least 250-feet already. :)

Too bad, it seemed like such a good idea. I guess you really need two of them to pull this off.

It still is a good idea, and you don't need to ready an action to make it work. :)

If you spend the move actions just in pushing buttons, gravity does the rest. Falling is a free action after all, unless we've started counting 10' falls into pit traps as part of ones movement :) . It's similar to taking a 10' step to open a door (two move actions).

One move action to push a button, fall for a second for no action, then push the button again for another move action. You don't have to fall more than 10 feet before pushing the button again (you don't have to move 30 ft before opening that door, do you?).

I'd say make exertion, climb, or Str checks if you do this for too long (maybe more drops than your Str modifier?) or make climb checks after each jump based on the distance you fell, but there's no reason it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

Storyteller01

First Post
Dracorat said:
Because you have to do it after you took the move action. Thus, you are already falling.

And what's this about:
Given that you only have to move more than 5 feet for a move action, I'd say 6 ft?

??

I have seen no such rules. Moving more than five feet is a move action, but not all move actions require movement. (A cadillac is a car, but not all cars are cadillacs)

It was a matter of distance covered, not actions taken :).

Last edited:

DMCF

First Post
Pay big $ to mod or craft it with a pointy end, stab dragon foot, activate.

At the start of a rickshaw race set it 1' off the ground of the inside exit lane of a steep turn.

Challenge a yokel braggart to a strength match, get the farmer's daughter.

Seduce the farmer's daughter, bar the barn door!

Fly 60' up and tie your bag of holding to it. Crawl inside for a nap.

Commission a bunch of them to create a collapsible cage to stick bad guys in while you rest.

Minor illusion = Pepperoni! Drink in the joy of salty tears shed by starving street urchins!

Minor illusion, something sticky - catch the thief at the museum!

Pat Ell

First Post
Strap one to your forearm, inside your sleeve. Challenge all comers to arm wrestling matches. When you set your elbow down on the table to start, the button presses against the table and your opponent can push in vain. Raise elbow and give it another "click" after your opponent tires and put them away. $ Cash in $

PJP2810

First Post
Strap one to your forearm, inside your sleeve. Challenge all comers to arm wrestling matches. When you set your elbow down on the table to start, the button presses against the table and your opponent can push in vain. Raise elbow and give it another "click" after your opponent tires and put them away. $ Cash in $

Slight issue with that plan. Once you click it to lock. How do you plan on moving your arm up enough to press the button, you've basically locked your arm in place with the rod. You'd have to raise the table up to push it against the button to click it.

I realised after reading your comment that one should also be careful poking a wall with the wrong end... if you click it on with the button next to the wall... you need to remove the wall to reclick it off :/

Monk with acrobatics used one as a Quarterstaff. Used it to:
-Run full movement speed up walls and hang on Rod
-Stop a charging Aboleth in it's tracks
-Drown an adult dragon by pinning it's head underwater
-Sink a warship by setting it in it's path
-:):):):)ing Fly

The DM was not amused.

Remove ads