Level Up (A5E) 13 weeks to go…

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I mean, I'm all in on the first two books for sure, but I'm SO USED TO DnDBeyond for my characters and monsters, I'm not sure I even remember how to play by actually having to calculate things myself anymore. That's going to be the tough part for me.

dave2008

Legend
Is the Bestiary coming out the same time as the Core rulebook? IIRC, the original plan was for it to come out a few months later,

Marc Radle

Legend
I mean, I'm all in on the first two books for sure, but I'm SO USED TO DnDBeyond for my characters and monsters, I'm not sure I even remember how to play by actually having to calculate things myself anymore. That's going to be the tough part for me.

Heh, that’s one of the reasons I so dislike D&D Beyond, and software like HeroLab, etc. It’s too easy to become reliant on the software and forget how to actually create characters, and by extension, understand all the underpinnings of the rules.

I’ve run into more than one situation in a game I was playing in where the DM looked at another players character sheet and ask a question like “how did you get this bonus”, or “are you sure this ability is correct?” or whatever, and the player kind of helplessly shrugged and said “I don’t know, that’s what the software came up with”

I firmly believe if you are going to play, you should thoroughly understand all aspects of the rules, and things like D&D Beyond, and software like HeroLab, etc. are a real hinderance to that.

OK, apologies - climbing down off my soapbox …

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Heh, that’s one of the reasons I so dislike D&D Beyond, and software like HeroLab, etc. It’s too easy to become reliant on the software and forget how to actually create characters, and by extension, understand all the underpinnings of the rules.

I’ve run into more than one situation in a game I was playing in where the DM looked at another players character sheet and ask a question like “how did you get this bonus”, or “are you sure this ability is correct?” or whatever, and the player kind of helplessly shrugged and said “I don’t know, that’s what the software came up with”

I firmly believe if you are going to play, you should thoroughly understand all aspects of the rules, and things like D&D Beyond, and software like HeroLab, etc. are a real hinderance to that.

OK, apologies - climbing down off my soapbox …
ya, no. I have no interest in worrying about how the math works anymore. 40+ years is enough.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
I've found the automation in Foundry to be an absolute boon at getting people to play games that aren't 5e. I just hate D&D Beyond because with 5e's neutered SRD it basically makes you pay for content twice over, or more depending on how you VTT. It's why I made sure to get clarification in the Digital Tools thread that Level Up would not be inheriting that from 5e.

Remove ads