Level Up (A5E) 13 weeks to go…

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Trying to figure out grimlock cities is definitely a brain bender. They've got all the stone and probably all the metal they want, and it's likely they have ample water as well, but things like wood, spinnable fibers, and so on are going to be scarce. Though at this point, they probably just trade for a lot of it with surface-dwelling peoples, that likely wasn't the case in their early history.

Also, while they may have access to lots of metal, what do they burn to fuel their forges? Oil and coal? Those burn really dirty. How do they vent those things so their smiths don't all choke and die? How do you smith something you can't even see? It's a real rabbit hole!

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think you can still justify some of the lower-tech stuff as efficiency and lack of waste. Remember, just about everything requires more work underground. "Yeah, this knobby femur is solid enough to do some damage. That's one less thing we have to try to carve out of the walls down here."

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the "furniture" like the stocks on their firearms made out of bone or some kind of tough mycelium. Wood is pretty hard to come by underground.
The problem with that is that you're justifying it just to justify it, not because there's a contextual reason why it is that way. The wrench idea is better if you're determined for them to club things.

Timespike

The problem with that is that you're justifying it just to justify it, not because there's a contextual reason why it is that way. The wrench idea is better if you're determined for them to club things.
Yes and no. The grimlocks do have a lot of ties to other underground critters, so it makes sense that they might use parts of said critters for weapons, tools, clothing, and so on. As previously mentioned, underground != the surface world in terms of resources. A wrench might be more thematically-appropriate, but that doesn't necessarily mean the bone club is absurd.

Mostly just curious to see how Subclasses in Level Up look at launch since, I'm assuming, for a Level Up Product you don't have the ability to use, say, the Swashbuckler Rogue from o5e, since it's not part of the SRD?
Also, you are free to use any WotC subclass with a level up class at your table, they just can’t publish them in their (EnWorld) products

Timespike

I'm pretty much guaranteed to back this for print and pdf, and that is an extreme rarity for me.
I'm so stoked too.

The books are gorgeous, and the amount of new material in here has me really excited for the possibilities as both a player and a GM.

Remove ads