13th Age is AMAZING and the Kickstarter needs your love!

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I'm reposting what I wrote on rpg.net, because I want to spread the word of the awesome-ness that is 13th Age. :)

I'm seriously gushing about this game, because for the first time in a long time, just reading the rulebook from my pre-release copy of the Escalation Edition actually made me feel like I was a ten year old again cracking open my AD&D books for the first time! That incredible rush of joyful nostalgia just gave me chills. Ever since, I have been in love with this game.

I'll state up front that the game favors a hybrid narrative/gamist design. The mechanics make no apologies about being designed to foster a cinematic world of high adventure. They are not designed to be the physics engine for a fantasy simulation. If you are a diehard simulationist, it may not be the game for you. The game embraces old school style gridless narrative play, while offering tactically diverse and mechanically rich classes in the vein of 3e/4e. Its very modern and indie in its approach, but yet it really feels retro at the same time. I just can't explain it. The mechanics also strongly encourage rich story and RP opportunities that immediately tie your PCs directly to the default campaign setting. Though it would be easy to tweak it for a home brew game.

I play and enjoy both Pathfinder and 4e as well. So if you are a fan of those games, or even an E6 fan, then I think there is something here for you. I apologize for the over the top hyperbole, but I'm just totally smitten with this game! :)

If anything I have written appeals to you in the slightest, then seriously check out the Kickstarter for the first expansion book since the core book is already about to go to print. If they reach a few more stretch goals they will unlock a couple more awesome classes. Some of the rewards include the core book in addition to the expansion, or you can check out the core book directly at Pelgrane Press's website.

You can find the Kickstarter here, and the Pelgrane Press site here. Check it out! There are only a couple of days left.

No, I don't work for the company or anything. I'm just an old school D&D player who started with AD&D 1e, went to 2e, 3e, 4e, and Pathfinder. But something about this game spoke to me, and I felt the need to get the word out. :)

I'd love to get it but 63 bucks is too steep for a 200 page supplement. April or so they reckon it will be out on Amazon

EDIT: and I agree it is a good game.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Battle Captain class unlocked! Woot! :)

Is it too much to hope they can get to 60k and unlock the Occultist class?Seems difficult, but maybe... :uhoh:

Pelgrane

First Post
Thanks, guys! It's exceeding my expectations, that's for sure.

It would be amazing if Robin Laws were able to write another 32 pages of material for the book, so I hope we hit that.

Jack99

Adventurer
I must admit, it looks awesome. First game that seriously tempts me to stray from dnd. Then again, it is dnd. It's 4e as it could have been.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I must admit, it looks awesome. First game that seriously tempts me to stray from dnd. Then again, it is dnd. It's 4e as it could have been.

There's always room for another awesome game on my shelf. At least figuratively speaking. :)

I've run out of shelf space and my books are overflowing onto the floor. My wife is not amused. :D

Remove ads