13th Age 13th Age monster powers for 5th edition D&D

Nebulous

Legend
I can't view the link at work. Can you present an example or two with comments? I am curious.

Sure.

Design Notes:
Bloodied - Many of these powers implement the “bloodied” condition from 4th edition when a character or monster reaches exactly 50% of its maximum hit points (13th Age refers to this as “Staggered”. Page 248 of the 5th edition DMG actually does refer to bloodied as a descriptor, but does not tie any mechanics to it: Players often ask how hurt a monster looks. You can describe the monster taken to half its hit points as bloodied, giving the players a sense of progress in a fight against a tough opponent, and helping them judge when to use their most powerful spells and abilities.

Reintroducing bloodied as a mechanic to 5th edition opens a wide range of tactical combat options for those who want a higher degree of complexity in their battles.

Challenge Rating – These optional rules do not incorporate the changes that might happen to a monster’s Challenge level or XP value. I do not use XP in my home games, but if you do, you’ll need to weigh the severity of the powers and figure out an appropriate modifier. The abilities are not created equally; some are vastly more powerful than others. In general, I would say that anything that deals extra damage or gives an extra attack would increase the CR by +1. Adding two or more powers to a single monster would also require careful consideration.

Miniatures – Adding more tactical details means that miniatures and markers become more useful. This is not necessary at all, but for those who do use miniatures in their roleplaying game, I suggest colored markers or tabs to denote conditions on players and monsters for ease of play and identification. We have a box of square colored tabs to show anything from poisoned, to bloodied, to slowed to confused to blinded and so forth.

Natural Even/Odd Hits and Misses – This is another mechanic that adds simple randomness to powers that key off the d20 roll.

New Conditions – Confused (you can’t make opportunity attacks or use special abilities or spells, and may even attack allies if they are within reach); Dazed (you are at -1 to all rolls); Vulnerable (attacks against you have increased crit range); Weakened (all attacks are at disadvantage and you inflict half damage)

Recharge – The monster powers listed below do not normally list recharge mechanics but instead leave that mostly up to the DM to decide. Typical recharges are 4-6 on a d6, 5-6 on a d6, 1x/day, 2x/day, or 3x/day. Some of these could also be considered “Encounter powers” that can only be used during that particular combat, but might be reset if the monster retreats and is met at a later time, with or without a short or long rest. Some powers are based on how long the battle has lasted, such as certain abilities only activating on Round 3+.

ABILITIES ARE LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER

Abyssal whispers—3d6 psychic damage, and the target is dazed (save ends); OR the target can choose to avoid the effect by taking 6d6 psychic damage to clear their head. Increase the severity of the dazed effect by modifying the DC between 10 and 20, depending on the power and level of the monster.

Big bully: The monster deals double damage with its attacks against bloodied enemies.

Big shove (each enemy engaged with monster)—3x/day, as its action, the creature deals 1d6 damage to all targets and they must make a DC 15 Constitution save or be pushed 10’ away. Quick use: This power only requires a free action (once per round) instead of a standard action if the battle is at round 4+.

Blood frenzy: The monster’s critical hit range expands to 18-20 when it is bloodied.

Blood fury: +1d6 melee damage if the creature or its target is bloodied.

trentonjoe

Explorer
I love the list.

Couple suggestions:

Big shove (each enemy engaged with monster)—3x/day, as its action, the creature deals 1d6 damage to all targets and they must make a DC 15 Constitution save or be pushed 10’ away. Quick use: This power only requires a free action (once per round) instead of a standard action if the battle is at round 4+.

I would make it either an opposed STR check and change the "free" to "bonus".

So an Ogre would have the DC be a 14 but a Storm Giant (25 STR?, 5 prof?) would be 23ish. Also, being pushed away is more DEX or STR than CON.

This would be cool to put on a psychic creature as well. Maybe a mind flayer? or Su monster? And have the DC set and opposed by INTELLIGENCE.

Just thinking out loud. Love the list.

Nebulous

Legend
I love the list.

Couple suggestions:

I would make it either an opposed STR check and change the "free" to "bonus".

So an Ogre would have the DC be a 14 but a Storm Giant (25 STR?, 5 prof?) would be 23ish. Also, being pushed away is more DEX or STR than CON.

This would be cool to put on a psychic creature as well. Maybe a mind flayer? or Su monster? And have the DC set and opposed by INTELLIGENCE.

Just thinking out loud. Love the list.

Great ideas, and I agree, those should be changed. And yes, it could be a psychic big shove from a mind flayer just as easily, just targeting a different stat. I should note that in the description as ell.

Unwise

Adventurer
This looks interesting, thanks for the list. I make some pretty horrific monsters, some of these might fit in rather well. I rather like the Feed the Young one.

I recently had the PCs come across Grendel. When he grappled you, you had to make a pretty hard DC Str or Con save or he simply pulled a limb off, or threw you shattering bones, dropping you to zero HP. It was a rude shock of PCs to have their arms pulled/bitten off, but effective at delivering the necessary narrative.

Nebulous

Legend

Much better.

Big shove (each enemy engaged with monster)—3x/day, as its action, the creature deals 1d6 damage to all targets and they must make an opposed Strength save or be pushed 10’ away.
Quick use: This power only requires a bonus action (once per round) instead of a standard action if the battle is at round 4+.
Alternative: By targeting Intelligence instead of Strength, you can simulate, for example, the psychic attack from a mind flayer.

Nebulous

Legend
This looks interesting, thanks for the list. I make some pretty horrific monsters, some of these might fit in rather well. I rather like the Feed the Young one.

I recently had the PCs come across Grendel. When he grappled you, you had to make a pretty hard DC Str or Con save or he simply pulled a limb off, or threw you shattering bones, dropping you to zero HP. It was a rude shock of PCs to have their arms pulled/bitten off, but effective at delivering the necessary narrative.

A few suggestions off the top of my head. Three of these powers seem particularly suited to this if you want to recreate that dismemberment:

Rip and Tear: The attack deals 3d6 damage and until the end of the monster’s next turn, the target is dazed (-1 to all rolls) while engaged (see Feed the babies)

Hates everyone: The crit range of attacks by this monster expands by 2 against humanoids, or elves, or Halflings, or any other species opposed to it.

Feed the babies: A monster that scores a critical hit against a dazed enemy tears a piece of the creature off (DM chooses a limb) and will subsequently retreat to feed its offspring. The maimed enemy is stunned until the end of its next turn (see Rip and Tear)

Nebulous

Legend
This has gotten me thinking about more ways this list can be fleshed out. I believe there are 46 entries utilizing a wide array of mechanics to add spice to combat, and it is far from being tapped out. I might see what I can come up with and add more to it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases