13th Age 13th Age monster powers for 5th edition D&D

trentonjoe

Explorer
My first reaction to this one was questions: Why only metal helmet, wouldn't a leather or no helmet also hurt? Also, tying the Wisdom save to what I assume is the pain threshold, that doesn't sound quite right, although I see what you're going for, mentally dazed from the attack. Lastly, this ability feels like it's dipping pretty far into 4e character powers, this one seems quite suitable for that. Nothing wrong there, but something like this might be better suited as a houserule for a critical hit: instead of doing Double damage, you do X-Y or Z.

Anyway, wasn't trying to negate your efforts, what are your thoughts? :)

The effects are ripped right from the SLOW spell, WIS save and all. Changing it to CON is no big deal, works either way IMO.
In my mind, it's nothing more than a six second concussion.

The metal helmet was just a flavor thing. I really like the mechanic of SHOCKING GRASP, maybe that is more appropriate, something metal armor guys have disadvantage on their saves (cause of the ringing!). I actually think this would make a cool magic item, but in my mind this is the perfect ability for an Ogre with a level of fighter or something.

trentonjoe

Explorer
I am also thinking about something along the lines of, 2 rounds after being reduced to zero hit points, the creature regains 1/4 of their max hit points as temp it points. Something like Danny LaRusso is Going to Fight?!. Maybe the creature has a level of exhaustion or something as well.....

Nebulous

Legend
The effects are ripped right from the SLOW spell, WIS save and all. Changing it to CON is no big deal, works either way IMO.
In my mind, it's nothing more than a six second concussion.

The metal helmet was just a flavor thing. I really like the mechanic of SHOCKING GRASP, maybe that is more appropriate, something metal armor guys have disadvantage on their saves (cause of the ringing!). I actually think this would make a cool magic item, but in my mind this is the perfect ability for an Ogre with a level of fighter or something.

Ah, I see, okay. I haven't actually seen the Slow spell in use yet, or even read the description. You know what would clear up any misunderstanding is a little blurb about what is actually HAPPENING when the effect takes place. That bothered me about 4e, you have hundreds and hundreds of powers but sometimes they didn't contextually make sense. But that's just personal griping :)

Nebulous

Legend
I am also thinking about something along the lines of, 2 rounds after being reduced to zero hit points, the creature regains 1/4 of their max hit points as temp it points. Something like Danny LaRusso is Going to Fight?!. Maybe the creature has a level of exhaustion or something as well.....

So you're saying the monster has a power where it's clearly down, but two rounds later springs back up with 25% hit points? That's nasty, I like that. And PCs wouldn't see it coming, not like they'd suspect with a troll regenerating.

Still Has Some Fight Left, or Not Dead Yet, or Don't Turn Your Back

Those are light-hearted names, you could also give it a more mechanical descriptor:

Second Wind, or Death's Door,

trentonjoe

Explorer
Hammer to the Helmet- Only useable with a bludgeoning weapon-

On a solid strike (16+) the wielder delivers a crushing below to the head of it's enemy. The opponent must make a CON save of suffer concussion like symptoms. The DC is equal to the damage dealt and opponents wearing a metal helm of any kind make the save with disadvantage due to the amplification of the noise . On a failed save she can’t:

use reactions.
use both an action AND a bonus action
make more than one melee or ranged attack during its turn

trentonjoe

Explorer

Defensive Feint -
If you miss with all attacks, take the full defense action instead for free.

This is for guys that you want to make out are masters of their craft. They do not make mistakes like normal plebs. If they did not hit you, it is because they were fighting defensively on purpose.

I love this one.

Nebulous

Legend
Also from the 13th Age core rules, adapted to 5e.

Random Demon Abilities (d6 or d8)
1: True seeing—The demon is immune to invisibility and ignores any illusions.
2: Healing flames — Any fire damage heals the demon equal to half the damage it would have inflicted.
3: Invisibility—The first time the demon is bloodied each battle it becomes invisible until the end of its next turn.
4: Resist energy 12+—The demon’s resistance to all energy types puts a damper on enemy spellcasters if it rolls a 12+.
5: Fear aura—Enemies engaged with the demon who are bloodied or lower are dazed.
6: Teleport 1d3 times each battle—As a move action, the demon can teleport anywhere it can see nearby.
7: Demonic speed—The demon can take a bonus action each turn if the battle has lasted to round 3+.
8: Gate—Once per battle as a standard action, if the demon is bloodied, it can summon a single demon ally at least two levels below its own level. The allied demon rolls initiative and does not appear on the battlefield until its turn starts. (Note that using a gate costs the demon an obligation, so some demons would rather flee or die than activate one.)

Nebulous

Legend
Also from 13th Age, adapted to 5e.

Random Dire Features (d6)
1: Armor plates—Add +1 to the creature’s AC and Constitution save.
2: Spiky bits—Whenever an enemy hits the creature with a melee attack, deal damage equal to twice the animal’s CR to that attacker.
3: Carnage—The creature’s attacks that miss deal damage equal to its CR. When bloodied, its missed attacks deal damage equal to double its level.
4: Poison—The creature’s main attack also deals 5 ongoing poison damage per tier.
5: Dire regeneration—Starting the 2nd round of combat, and then the 4th/6th, etc. this animal heals damage equal to triple its CR at the start of its turn.
6: Fury—While bloodied, the creature gains a +1 attack bonus and deals +2 damage, but at the end of each of its turns it takes 2d6 damage.

Nebulous

Legend
Who thinks a modron lord should have this power?

Ray of wasted time (1d3 nearby enemies or one far away enemy)—5 psychic damage, and 5 ongoing psychic damage (save ends)
Natural 16+: The target also moves down 1d6 points in initiative order.
On pause: A creature that is reduced to a negative initiative count moves forward in time, reappearing somewhere nearby in a number of minutes equal to their negative initiative count, presumably long after the current battle is over. Targets may be confused by this effect as it is instantaneous from their perspective.

Remove ads