D&D 5E 18/7/2013 D&D Next Q&A: Feat Progression, Bonus Feats & Requirements

Blackwarder

Adventurer
All in all what they are doing with feats is exactly what I've been asking them to do in the various surveys so I'm happy.
My only nitpick is that I think that they should be called feats, I think that they are more close to proficiencies.

Warder

Grydan

First Post
While 'feat' was perhaps always a poor fit as a name, these new super-feats make the fit all the poorer. They're really more like … specializations, or something, when presented as they are here. The only reason to retain the name feat is as a legacy.

I also can't say I care for the first of them not being available until level 4. If I want to play a character who is good at two-handed weaponry, I generally don't want to play three levels of not being good at it, then achieve sudden mastery. I either want to be good at it from the get-go, or have a feeling of the character gradually increasing in competence. A dimmer gradually being adjusted from off to fully on, rather than a switch being flicked.

They could grant each character a feat at level 1 if they dropped the stat mods from the classes (and perhaps the races, as well) … just an idea.

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
All of this pleases me greatly, since day one I have requested Feats be strictly optional in the surveys, and remove feats from class features (bonus feats), so this is exactly what I want.

I also like no feat trees or class specific feats.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I also can't say I care for the first of them not being available until level 4. If I want to play a character who is good at two-handed weaponry, I generally don't want to play three levels of not being good at it, then achieve sudden mastery. I either want to be good at it from the get-go, or have a feeling of the character gradually increasing in competence. A dimmer gradually being adjusted from off to fully on, rather than a switch being flicked.

While I understand the sentiment, I disagree with your conclusion. I think it's a great thing that players don't have to bother with a feat choice until they've played their character for a few levels, especially since the apprentice tear levels are going to be short.

It's already expected that more advanced groups will likely start at 3rd level or higher. Beyond that, it's an easy house rule to simply grant each character an extra feat if you want that.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
The only part of this I dislike is that Rodney, who is supposedly an experienced game designer, is defending Power Attack as a well-designed mechanic.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I can't read this, can someone quote relevant sections?

I'll paraphrase instead of quoting: In the upcoming iteration of the 5E Next playtest, characters will get feats only by foregoing ability increases; and the levels at which they do so will start at 4th; and those choices will be spread across the class progressions, going above 10th level; and different classes will have different progressions; and there will be no bonus feats; and there will be no feat-chains.

Klaus

First Post
Y'know, I wouldn't mind seeing these feats renamed as "Themes", because they seem to be covering the same design space as 4e's Themes.

Remove ads