• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1Eish 3E modules

T. Foster

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
Well, Necromancer Games produced Necropolis (by EGG) and some of Rob Kuntz's work (Maze of Zayene series 1-3 -- they never published 4). Some of the best Necromancer modules started life as 1E dungeons in a Wilderlands campaign: Rappan Athuk, for certain, and I believe Demons & Devils also falls into this category. Tomb of Abysthor is another stand-out. Vault of Larin Karr and Lost City of Barakus are also good. City of Brass is damn good, too, although I'm not overjoyed at the prospect of converting it; low level 3E stuff isn't too bad, but I find high-level stuff more of a pain to convert.
The Maze of Zayene modules shouldn't count since they were originally published for 1E (well, "generic," but obviously 1E-compatible) back in the 80s, and copies of the originals are still fairly easily obtained. The same perhaps goes for Necropolis as well, since it was originally published for the Dangerous Journeys system in 1993, but I suppose that can slide since 1E fans unfamiliar with the DJ system might find the d20 version easier to convert.

EDIT: Just noticed that the OP wasn't actually asking about d20 adventures that can be converted to 1E, but rather ones that "feel like" 1E. That being the case, mea culpa, the MoZ series and Necropolis are both appropriate choices -- they feel like 1E because they were 1E :)

Last edited:

T. Foster said:
The Maze of Zayene modules shouldn't count since they were originally published for 1E...The same perhaps goes for Necropolis as well...
The Judges Guild modules (Caverns of Thracia, Citadel of Fire, Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor, etc) Necromancer Games and Goodman Games produced fall into that category, too. I forgot to mention them.

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
Doom of Listonshire and Diamond Fortress are Very 1E feel mods from NEcromancer Games.

I would not call Grey Citadel a very 1E module, but I would call it a darn good adventure.

I also concur with the mentions of Rappan Athuk, Tomb of Abysthor, and others for NEcromancer.

As for the DCC's, I like them, but I think they only do a great job mimicking the look of 1E. I have found a lot of the modules to only be "good". Very few have been "Very good" or better. I wouldn't call any of the DCC's anything below good, though.

Another thing about NEcromancer and eliciting "1E feel", some of the modules, like BoneGarden, also elicit the "1E feel" for me because some things I consider "broken" just like I did many other modules in the 1E days, so even when I rewrite NEcromancer mods, it feels like 1E because it reminds me of all the fixes I did in 1E mods.

Necromancer does make "dungeon ecologies" more believeable, though. Goodmans DCC's usually do too.

Other NEcromancer modules to look at for strong 1E vibe is Crucible of Freya, Morrick Mansion, and the mods by Lance Havermale. I've followed Lance since I first saw his modules in Dungeon.

I didn't realize it though. I don't really pay attention to names. I realized it when I went to Lance's website and saw his past work credentials. Then it was "Holy smokes! He wrote those Dungeon adventures! I loved running those!"

So then it made sense to me that I liked his NEcroamncer modules, and look forward to his "Elemental Evil" module, coming out hopefully before Christmas via Kenzer/Necromancer.

If anyone is looking for Lost City of Barakus realize that NEcromancer published that via Troll Lord Games, so order from TLG if you can't find it anywhere else. That also goes for Vampires and Liches and a couple of other Necro mods.

As for "1E feel", buy Troll Lord's Castle and Crusades Modules. In particular A1 Assault on Blacktooth Ridge. If I ever run that one again I am definitely going to combine it with Keep on the Borderlands.

C&C is as easy to convert to 1E as 1E is to convert to C&C. Which means pretty darn easy.

Plus, if you are running 1E, I hope you are aware of Dragonsfoot.org and their solid selection of free 1E adventures.

Last edited:

Remove ads