1Eish 3E modules

Valiant

First Post
Are there any 3E modules that run like early 1E modules (which could have been pulished in the day)?

I tried buying 3E modules but honestly thought they sucked so stopped early on.

kenobi65

First Post
They're really 3.5 modules, but I'd highly suggest looking into Goodman Games' "Dungeon Crawl Classics." They even *look* like 1E modules.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, Goodman Games' DCC modules have the 1E vibe down to a science.

Necromancer Games does a good job with 1E tone, although they are very modern modules in terms of design and production values. They would never be mistaken for a 1E reprint or update, but they definitely have that "oh crap, are we sure we want to be in this dungeon?" thing going on.

Valiant

First Post
So which modules from these 2 publishers would you suggest (if you had to pick say 1 from each)? I understand "Saga of the Witch Queen" is pretty good (and already converted to 1E), but what else? Anything that could fit into the early 1E catagory?

Also, what about WOTCs official 3E and 3.5 stuff? Are any of their modules "classic dungeon crawls" of that style? The artwork doesn't really suggest it (from what I've seen) but then you can't always tell by artwork alone.

Last edited:

SavageRobby

First Post
I'll third the DCCs. I convert them to my C&C and Savage Worlds games. Great fun.

One thing to note about many of the DCCs is that they have the more linear "get to boss to get the McGuffin, move to next challenge" mindset that I associate more with 3E, rather than the "open ended dungeon crawl" vibe that I get from earlier 1E modules. (And I should clarify that I assume you're asking about the earlier, classic 1E modules rather than some of the later dreck.)

There are some serious clunkers in the group, for example, I'm not a fan of the two Stormbringer (a giant, not the sword) modules, and the Revenge of the Rat King doesn't do it for me. There are some serious 1E/Classic derivatives (but still very good) - Into the Wilds (Keep on the Borderland), Talons of the Horned King (Barrier Peaks), Crypt of the Devil Lich (Tomb of Horrors). And then there are some that I just can't wait to run, like Aerie of the Crow God, Slithering Overlord and Curse of the Emerald Cobra.

Also, their latest GenCon special, War of the Witch Queen, is designed for 1E (masterfully revamped and restatted), and after the first and second read-through, my assessment is that it simply rocks.

Edit: Also the Adventure Begins and Dungeon Interludes have some interesting adventures and seeds in them, and I'm looking forward to the Adventure Continues, as well.

Well, Necromancer Games produced Necropolis (by EGG) and some of Rob Kuntz's work (Maze of Zayene series 1-3 -- they never published 4). Some of the best Necromancer modules started life as 1E dungeons in a Wilderlands campaign: Rappan Athuk, for certain, and I believe Demons & Devils also falls into this category. Tomb of Abysthor is another stand-out. Vault of Larin Karr and Lost City of Barakus are also good. City of Brass is damn good, too, although I'm not overjoyed at the prospect of converting it; low level 3E stuff isn't too bad, but I find high-level stuff more of a pain to convert.

Last edited:

SavageRobby said:
Also, their latest GenCon special, War of the Witch Queen, is designed for 1E (masterfully revamped and restatted), and after the first and second read-through, my assessment is that it simply rocks.
Actually, War of the Witch Queen is the title of a d20 module. Saga of the Witch Queen is the 1E module that includes conversion of War... and Legacy of the Savage Kings, as well as some original material ("Lost Passage of the Drow"). That nitpick, aside, I agree that Saga of the Witch Queen rocks. The conversion is well done, and it feels like a 1E module.

I haven't run it, yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

kenobi65

First Post
Valiant said:
So which modules from these 2 publishers would you suggest (if you had to pick say 1 from each)?

Haven't found a bad DCC yet (but, I've only seen about 1/4 of them).

Valiant said:
Also, what about WOTCs official 3E and 3.5 stuff? Are any of their modules "classic dungeon crawls" of that style? The artwork doesn't really suggest it (from what I've seen) but then you can't always tell by artwork alone.

Their "Fantastic Locations" are really just dungeon crawls with really pretty battlemaps.

Last edited:

SavageRobby

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
Actually, War of the Witch Queen is the title of a d20 module. Saga of the Witch Queen is the 1E module that includes conversion of War... and Legacy of the Savage Kings, as well as some original material ("Lost Passage of the Drow").

Quite right. Thanks for the clearing that up. :)

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
SavageRobby said:

Yep. I absolutely love this one.

Remove ads