1st Ed. AD&D Spell Initiative

dcollins

Explorer
It's occurred to me to ask if anyone fully understands the intent of the fine-print parts of the 1st Ed. AD&D initiative system. I have half a mind to ask Col. Pladoh, but he seems to have not much time for rules questions.

I'm also thinking it would be great if we could skip all the "I never used it" or "1st Ed. sure sucked" comments in this thread.

To recap, using the 1st Ed. DMG as a source let's acknowledge that:
- Spellcasters announce spells for the round prior to initiative rolls (p. 65).
- In general, actions go first to the high-rolling party, then the low-rolling party, each on d6. (p. 62)
- In ties, if both parties are using weapons, initiative is determined by lowest speed factor first (p. 66)

Now, the problem areas are how spells interact with this system.

PROBLEM 1> "Attacks directed at spell casters will come on that segment of the round shown on the opponent's or on their own side's initiative die, whichever is applicable. (If the spell caster's side won the initiative with a roll of 5, the attack must come then, not on the opponent's losing roll of 4 or less.)" (p. 65)

So, we have a rule for when attacks land on spellcasters. But, when does the spell itself start, finish, and be eligible for disruption? (It seems like this mechanic would be suitable if all spells were started on segment zero, and finished on segment X of their casting time. However, further up on the page it says that spells' "commencement is dictated by initiative determination", which sounds like spells should start on a given initiative roll. But that makes no sense, because then it would be advantageous to lose initiative and start your spells after enemy attacks had already occurred.)

And, does this mean that all attacks from both sides on spellcasters occur in the same segment -- according to whatever the winner rolled for initiative? (It seems counterintuitive, but otherwise there would be no reason to mention "or on their own side's initiative die", because it would always be on the opponent's roll.)

PROBLEM 2> An additional system is presented for the case when spellcasters are fighting an opponent with a melee weapon. In this system, if the magic-user wins initiative, the first actor is determined by comparing lowest [casting time] versus [abs(weapon speed factor - weaponeer's initiative roll)]. If the initiative is tied, the same camparison is made, but with no subtraction to the weapon speed factor.

So, what happens when the spellcaster loses initiative -- does the melee attack then automatically come before the spell?

Is it true, then, that sometimes it's advantageous for the spellcaster for their opponent to roll higher rather than lower? (Consider the case where a magic-user launches hold person - [casting time 3] against a swordsman [weapon speed 5], and rolls initiative 4. If the swordsman rolls a 3, he wins [5-3 = 2, less than casting time]; but if the swordsman rolls 4, he loses [in a tie, speed factor not subtracted, so 5 loses to 3].)

Regardless if anyone actually used the full system -- did anyone understand the intent of these pieces related to spellcasting?

Last edited:

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Back in the day

IIRC, each side rolled initiative and then added either their speed factor or their casting time to the die roll. So, if my side rolled a 2 and the other side rolled a 3 and I cast a spell with a casting time of 3, the spell would start on segment 2 and end on segment 5. If they were using a dagger (SF=2), then both the spell and the dagger would go on segment 5, but since my side won init, the spell would go first.

The only time a tied initiative mattered, was that it allowed low speed factor weapons to attack multiple times. For example, a dagger (SF=2) against a SF=4 weapon would get an additional attack. Against a SF = 6 if would get two additional attacks, etc.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Waterrabbit, you've got 2e and 1e confused.
In 1e you didn't add speed factors to initiative, they only mattered on ties.

IIRC, you started spells at the start of the round, and got disrupted if you were hit before your initiative.

Geoff.

dcollins

Explorer
WaterRabbit: Indeed, you're thinking of 2nd Ed. rules -- what you've described contradicts the bullet-points given in my original post.

Geoff: Do you have a quotation showing that spells start at the beginning of the round - i.e., that the phrase "commencement is dictated by initiative determination" (p. 65) means something other than what it appears to? Because what you say would also imply that the completion of spells has no bearing on initiative rolls.

Remove ads