• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 2/18/13 L&L column

I am curious how people who want non-magic healing would feel if they had the default assumption be cleric only, but in the first PHB, very prominently feature a robust healing surge or HD mechanic that can be put into the core system quite seemlessy. I am thinking of the structure of the 2E phb (not the mechanics just the structure) where they dealt with the issue of skills versus no skills by making the default assumption of the game be no skills, but included a lengthy section on three possible options with an elaborate Non-weopon proficiency system. This was because at the time groups were very divided. I was younger and more open to a detailed skill system but I do remember some of the guys who were older than me feeling a skill system would get int the way of flow and creativity. So this option satisfied us bothand from my point of view I didnt even realize NPWs were just an option until much later (because they were right there at the begining of the book with pages of individual entries and pretty much everyone I knew used them----they were clearly not just an after thought).

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Didn't 4e show how to solve this particular problem, via surge-dependent healing?

I'm sorry, but healing surges created as many problems as they solved, they made healing feel less special (of course they weren't the only cause, I blame more the minor and ranged healing twice per encounter period). But mostly I approve this is a delicate and sensitive issue, I am of the idea that a party shouldn't be forced to have any kind of healing as a baseline. However I dunno, this is a hot spot.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The most important info in the column IMHO is the confirmation that feedback and surveys clearly point to the fact that there is no consensus whatsoever on healing in D&D.

As does this thread and every thread we have had on it on ENWorld. And of course, our opinions are a subset of the wider range of opinions out there.

Personally, I find that I tend to really disagree with posters in this area (like most of the above) on how healing should work, its role in the game...I guess I am not the only one.

I am curious how people who want non-magic healing would feel if they had the default assumption be cleric only, but in the first PHB, very prominently feature a robust healing surge or HD mechanic that can be put into the core system quite seemlessy. I am thinking of the structure of the 2E phb (not the mechanics just the structure) where they dealt with the issue of skills versus no skills by making the default assumption of the game be no skills, but included a lengthy section on three possible options with an elaborate Non-weopon proficiency system.

Right. (and good example). The core rules should be 16 pages...and NOT for most of the people who post on ENWorld. Including me. Then we can use those, are clearly presented options, and do what we want.

D'karr

Adventurer
I am curious how people who want non-magic healing would feel if they had the default assumption be cleric only, but in the first PHB, very prominently feature a robust healing surge or HD mechanic that can be put into the core system quite seemlessy. I am thinking of the structure of the 2E phb (not the mechanics just the structure) where they dealt with the issue of skills versus no skills by making the default assumption of the game be no skills, but included a lengthy section on three possible options with an elaborate Non-weopon proficiency system. This was because at the time groups were very divided. I was younger and more open to a detailed skill system but I do remember some of the guys who were older than me feeling a skill system would get int the way of flow and creativity. So this option satisfied us bothand from my point of view I didnt even realize NPWs were just an option until much later (because they were right there at the begining of the book with pages of individual entries and pretty much everyone I knew used them----they were clearly not just an after thought).

I wouldn't mind that at all. However, from a design standpoint they need to build the system from the ground up to support the option as if it was the default. If the option comes in as a mish mash that doesn't coherently fit, or feels like a tack on with no thought given to the repercussions then it will be a 'bad fit', an afterthought.

I wouldn't mind that at all. However, from a design standpoint they need to build the system from the ground up to support the option as if it was the default. If the option comes in as a mish mash that doesn't coherently fit, or feels like a tack on with no thought given to the repercussions then it will be a 'bad fit', an afterthought.

that is why I used NWPs as an example. They are not just isolated in one part of the book, but come up in other sections because they are relevant to those who use them (and the kits in the complete books had entries for NWPs

Sage Genesis

First Post
I'm sorry, but healing surges created as many problems as they solved, they made healing feel less special (of course they weren't the only cause, I blame more the minor and ranged healing twice per encounter period).

Many people, me included, would argue that healing was never special to begin with. And if anything, 3e's Wand of Cure Light Wounds problem killed any lingering specialness long before 4e came along.

Obryn

Hero
that is why I used NWPs as an example. They are not just isolated in one part of the book, but come up in other sections because they are relevant to those who use them (and the kits in the complete books had entries for NWPs
This is kind of the point... NWPs aren't really optional in 2e as a whole because every supplement assumed their use. Healing goes even deeper than this.

-O

The 3.x system suffered from there being niche protection on the cleric, which made every other class which could heal or cast healing spells inferior in the aspect of healing. Way too often it felt like a chore for the player who was stuck playing a cleric with the "But you have to, we don't have a cleric, we need healing". We also don't want to have the assumption, that just because you are playing a cleric, that you have to be a healer with the "but I'm a fire cleric, it's not my only job!". So we really need to have non-magical healing as something that's in the Standard rules by default.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Ok. So the "Basic game" is not going to, by default, involve:
--Skills. So a mundane "Healing" skill for anyone is out.
--Backgrounds or Specialties. So things like Apothecary or Herbalist or other ways/persons possessing medical knowledge are out.
--Is the Basic game the "Big 4" classes only? So Druid, Bard, Paladin magic healing and Ranger and Warlord (whether you fluff them as magical or mundane) healing is out.
--Will not include the HD mechanic originally introduced. So that's out.

So there's clerics with their magic...annnnnd...?

They've already introduced the "Healer's Kit" idea. What about just a simple, single entry in the equipment list:
Healer's Kit: This satchel includes various bandages, poultices, anesthetics and other useful materials for cleaning and treating various minor wounds. The Healer's Kit has enough material for 10 uses before needing to be restocked. Each use of the kit requires 10 minutes of uninterrupted time (if they call that a "turn" or a "short rest" or whatever, I do not care). Each use of the kit will heal 5 HP. Any class can purchase/use a Healer's Kit.

Done. Mundane healing for everyone.
1) It's a limited but renewable resource...cleric can use their spells for other things or keep one or two for "emergency" healing.
2) Puts a focus on the need for a secure area for a limited period of time to use the kit. So, no, you can't be almost dead in the middle of a fight and then POOF All bettuh! Let's keep fighting.
2a) Also puts a [much needed, imho] focus on the fact that if you're hurt/bleeding/losing/close to death...RUN AWAY! You don't have the guarantee of A) winning or B) a cleric to have a cure spell at the ready/waiting just for you.

Cleric's do not become "mandatory" because everybody can have their own personal kit...10 healings all their own until they need to restock. OR, a PC can opt not to and rely on the kindness of strangers or hope to find an occasional potion.

DonAdam

Explorer
You let individual groups decide whether or not it is a problem for them. Some players are quite willing to accept that occasionally, the dice will turn against them and they need to be on the sidelines during parts of an adventure.

If it is a problem, you let them decide how they want to solve it: by the DM being more generous with healing magic items, by agreeing to adjust the dial so that everyone has a small amount of self-healing, or by just being resigned to the fact that their playstyle preferences and choices make it inevitable that someone has to play a cleric.

How is "let groups decide if this is a problem for them" different from "build the game assuming a cleric?"

I'm genuinely asking, not trying to provoke.

Remove ads