• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2 House Rules

ravenheart

Explorer
I've been working on a couple of houserules for my current/upcoming campaign, but I'm a bit worried about some balance issues etc. I appreciate your input!

House rule #1:

[sblock]UNIQUE CHARACTER ABILITIES

Each character participating in the game is granted a unique ability dependant on their character concept and background, allowing them to gain a relative advantage for a small sacrifice. The advantage is generally a bonus to certain skills or checks, circumstantial modifiers to attacks or defences, or even an entirely new option for the character. The advantage is usually gained by spending a healing surge or two during a short rest, as the ability represents an expenditure of vitality and strenuous mastery of one self. Alternatively the advantage, or a part of it, could be a permanent fixture, a slight change in the characters class features.

Examples:

Character 1: A water- and firesoul (Extra Manifestation at 1st lvl) genasi rogue, growing up in a society with a tyrannical tiefling ruling class and a subjugated drow slave/lower class; learns to fit in by altering their behaviour and appearance while manifesting either elemental aspect.
Unique Character Ability: Two-Faced Charlatan
Benefit: Spend a healing surge after a short rest. Instead of gaining the usual benefits of a healing surge, you take on either a drow or a tiefling aspect, dependant on which elemental manifestation you have adopted. If you manifest watersoul, you gain a +2 bonus to Streetwise and a +2 bonus to Bluff checks while passing off being disguised as a drow. If you manifest firesoul, you gain a +2 bonus to Diplomacy and a +2 bonus to Bluff checks while passing off being disguised as a tiefling. The aspects last until your next short or extended rest.

Character 2: An eladrin wizard (Expanded Spellbook at 1st lvl), suffering from amnesia and a body covered in strange tattoos; discovers that he can create magical effects innately by activating these tattoos, and that by concentrating, he can manipulate the patterns of his body.
Unique Character Ability: Tattooed Mage
Benefit: Spend two healing surges after a short rest. Instead of gaining the usual benefits of these healing surges, you can rearrange the pattern of spells on your body. Switch one of the utility spell which you have prepared with another you know of that level.
Special: Instead of having a spellbook, you store your daily and utility spells as part of a great tattooed pattern that covers your entire body. You still need a ritual book to store your rituals.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]NOTE: These abilities have been tailor-made to fit two of my players, the first one more of an actor, the other tends to go for versatility. I'm mostly interested if they seem balanced in regards to each other, and perhaps someone could help me come up with concepts for the rest of my players (Human Starlock, Human RQ Paladin, Elven Beastmaster and Half-Elf Bravura Warlord)? :cool: [/sblock]

House rule #2:

[sblock]DRAMATIC TWIST

Sometimes a group of adventurers might get stuck. To avoid this a character may, once per day, elect to create a dramatic twist. A dramatic twist is a tool suited for social encounters, non-combat skill challenges or when facing difficulties while exploring. A dramatic twist allows a character to remember something essential to the situation, receive an important clue or come to a startling conclusion. A dramatic twist is similar to a saving throw; a roll lower than 10 indicates a failure, which means the character can’t come up with anything clever. A success on the other hand suggests that the character somehow overcomes the odds or unravels the secrets. A success could improve an NPC’s general attitude, grant a small bonus to a certain skill for the rest of the encounter, or simply give a suitable answer when facing a choice or a mystery. For more advanced options, one could grant a bonus or a penalty to the check depending on how the character motivates his reasoning or how it correlates to his character concept and/or background.

Examples:

Slowly a hint of recognition appears in the merchants eyes. “I knew you looked familiar! You’re the ones that saved my donkey from those goblins! Of course you can have a discount!” (NPC attitude improved by one step)

As the battered ranger barges through the double-doors of the throne room, lightning flashes in the distance and a roll of thunder accompanies his determined foot-steps. (+2 to Intimidate until the end of the encounter)

The halfling ponders the meaning of the mysterious riddle, and as sure as the sun rises in the east, the answer has been staring him in the face all this time. (Learn the answer to the riddle, or at least get a hefty hint)

NOTE: All references to LotR aside, I thought of creating this rule to alleviate the need of rail-roading by handing it out to the players in the form of a game-mechanic. Maybe it's a bit silly, but I thought it might be interesting ! :p [/sblock]

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
House rule #1:

Not bad. These look pretty balanced. The main problem I see, is that you will need to come up with new unique abilities for every character, which is a bunch of extra work and may become difficult to balance.

I do like for character backgrounds to have some mechanical impact. My own approach is very generic: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/232141-craft-profession-rules-lite.html

I'm always uneasy about using healing surges for anything other than healing. It always feels like I am cannibalizing myself. Plus, some characters get more than others. The wizard, for example, has very few to begin with and needs to spend 2 surges to use his thing, so he's just hastening the onset of an extended rest.

House rule #2:

Interesting, and maybe useful, but be prepared to have players totally disrupt everything by introducing weird plot developments. You can control this by having players state their goal (Intimidate bonus) and then the DM decides what form it takes (timely flash of lightning).

I also like the idea of bonuses and penalties based on how much sense the plot twist makes. If you phrase the twist in the form of a question ("Do I know the shopkeeper from around town?") you are basically playing Mythic.

I would not limit this per day. It leads to weird interactions when you are lost in the woods. "Let's just sleep and try for another dramatic twist tomorrow." Instead, do it per game session. Maybe everybody gets one twist per 3 hours of game play or something?

-- 77IM

Paul Strack

First Post
Regarding house rule #2:

The dramatic twist rule shouldn't involve a die roll. If the intent of the rule is to let the players get "unstuck" in the storyline, then a failed roll means they will still be stuck.

Personally, I'd make the twist automatic, but have it cost the players something. I would charge them action points for the twist. The bigger the twist, the higher the AP cost. Optionally (and more interestingly), I would let the players spend "monster AP" instead of their own AP. The PCs would keep their own AP and still get the twist, but in a later encounter, the DM could uses the accumulated monster AP for any monster.

Basically, this lets the players can buy their way out of trouble now, in exchange for suffering more trouble later.

[Edit] Hmm. This gives me some new ideas for ways to handle PCs failing in skill challenges that they "must" succeed in. If they lose the challenge, they get a lucky break somehow and move forward, but they lose AP or the next set of monsters has more AP. This definitely has some possibilities.

Last edited:

redwulf25_ci

First Post
Regarding house rule #2:

The dramatic twist rule shouldn't involve a die roll. If the intent of the rule is to let the players get "unstuck" in the storyline, then a failed roll means they will still be stuck.

Personally, I'd make the twist automatic, but have it cost the players something. I would charge them action points for the twist. The bigger the twist, the higher the AP cost. Optionally (and more interestingly), I would let the players spend "monster AP" instead of their own AP. The PCs would keep their own AP and still get the twist, but in a later encounter, the DM could uses the accumulated monster AP for any monster.

Basically, this lets the players can buy their way out of trouble now, in exchange for suffering more trouble later.

[Edit] Hmm. This gives me some new ideas for ways to handle PCs failing in skill challenges that they "must" succeed in. If they lose the challenge, they get a lucky break somehow and move forward, but they lose AP or the next set of monsters has more AP. This definitely has some possibilities.

I second this post. Personal I would allow players to either use their own AP or give the DM an AP to use in a later encounter. I like the idea of AP working more like the Buffy RPG's drama points.

ravenheart

Explorer
First of all, thanks for your response!

House rule #1:[sblock]

Not bad. These look pretty balanced. The main problem I see, is that you will need to come up with new unique abilities for every character, which is a bunch of extra work and may become difficult to balance.

I do like for character backgrounds to have some mechanical impact. My own approach is very generic: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/232141-craft-profession-rules-lite.html

I'm always uneasy about using healing surges for anything other than healing. It always feels like I am cannibalizing myself. Plus, some characters get more than others. The wizard, for example, has very few to begin with and needs to spend 2 surges to use his thing, so he's just hastening the onset of an extended rest.[/sblock]

Thanks! I'm well aware of the amount of work required, in fact I decided not to do them right away. I'd rather get to know my players characters a little before making custom made powers for all of them. And I did utilize a similar approach to background skills as yours, although they are more flavour, and less ability. So I'm planning to insert the unique abilities into play now, half-way through the campaign (if my players approve, of course)! :p See attachment for my updated list.

I actually have no problem using healing surges this way, seeing as I don't regard it as ipso facto healing. I'm actually thinking about renaming them Recovery Points (RP); that way they work better with Hit Points (HP), and as expendable resources akin to Action points (AP). I'm also thinking about incorporating the moderate rest (which, if I remember correctly, you devised a game-mechanic for?) to alleviate the increasingly prominent need to take an extended rest.

House rule #2:[sblock]

Interesting, and maybe useful, but be prepared to have players totally disrupt everything by introducing weird plot developments. You can control this by having players state their goal (Intimidate bonus) and then the DM decides what form it takes (timely flash of lightning).

I also like the idea of bonuses and penalties based on how much sense the plot twist makes. If you phrase the twist in the form of a question ("Do I know the shopkeeper from around town?") you are basically playing Mythic.

I would not limit this per day. It leads to weird interactions when you are lost in the woods. "Let's just sleep and try for another dramatic twist tomorrow." Instead, do it per game session. Maybe everybody gets one twist per 3 hours of game play or something?

-- 77IM[/sblock]

Regarding house rule #2:[sblock]

[Edit] Hmm. This gives me some new ideas for ways to handle PCs failing in skill challenges that they "must" succeed in. If they lose the challenge, they get a lucky break somehow and move forward, but they lose AP or the next set of monsters has more AP. This definitely has some possibilities.[/sblock]

I second this post. Personal I would allow players to either use their own AP or give the DM an AP to use in a later encounter. I like the idea of AP working more like the Buffy RPG's drama points.

I've been re-imagining my dramatic twist rule, and I really like the idea to use AP for this, and I like the idea of "floating monster AP" even more! :p
I'll ponder this some more and come up with a revised version soon!

I've updated my 1st house rule and have completed my list of characters and their unique abilities (see attachment). Please comment on any internal and/or external balance issues you can come up with.

Attachments

• ravenheart's house rule #1, version 2.doc
    40 KB · Views: 115

Paul Strack

First Post
I read over your house rules #1, and none of them seem especially game breaking. The only one I am concerned with is this one:

Alter Fate – You halt the impending death of an ally by sacrificing a part of yourself to the Raven Queen.

Circumventing any ally's death at-will at the cost of a single healing surges is simply too good. Unless you want your game to be such that the PC have no chance of dying unless there is a TPK, I would make this ability daily instead of at-will.

In my experience, unless your PCs are regularly facing super-high level encounters, the chance of death in 4E is already very small. I've only had one PC come even close to dying, and none have ever actually died.

ravenheart

Explorer
I read over your house rules #1, and none of them seem especially game breaking. The only one I am concerned with is this one:

Alter Fate – You halt the impending death of an ally by sacrificing a part of yourself to the Raven Queen.

Circumventing any ally's death at-will at the cost of a single healing surges is simply too good. Unless you want your game to be such that the PC have no chance of dying unless there is a TPK, I would make this ability daily instead of at-will.

In my experience, unless your PCs are regularly facing super-high level encounters, the chance of death in 4E is already very small. I've only had one PC come even close to dying, and none have ever actually died.

My PCs are regularly their own worst enemies, as they have a penchant for failing important attacks, heal checks, death saves. To make things worse, I (as the DM) usually dish out a steady flow of high rolls; add a couple of criticals to that mix and suddenly the group of brave adventurers are near-TPK:ed by a band of lowly and dimwitted kobolds. Now, I know there's little you can do about bad luck/karma (and I assure, I don't use loaded dice! :p) - therefore, I devised these abilities for the PC's to fall back on if the going gets too rough. And remember that they are immediate interrupts, thus not usable ad infinitum!

But I agree with you, the alter fate power might still be a bit overpowering. I mentioned this in my design notes (which I forgot to attach in my previous post; remind me not to post when I should be sleeping!), but I wanted a second opinion first. I thought about adding this to the effect line (as well as the Necrotic keyword): [FONT=&quot]

You fail a death save and take necrotic damage equal to your healing surge value.[/FONT]

Now, maybe that's a bit overkill, but either/or could also work. What do you think?

Attached are my design notes.

Attachments

• unique character abilites, version 2 - design notes.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 88

Paul Strack

First Post
But I agree with you, the alter fate power might still be a bit overpowering. I mentioned this in my design notes (which I forgot to attach in my previous post; remind me not to post when I should be sleeping!), but I wanted a second opinion first. I thought about adding this to the effect line (as well as the Necrotic keyword): [FONT=&quot]

You fail a death save and take necrotic damage equal to your healing surge value.[/FONT]

Now, maybe that's a bit overkill, but either/or could also work. What do you think?

That's too far in the other direction. Dealing failed death saves to a character that is not below 0 hp is problematic. If it was just the necrotic damage, though, that would work. Then you are taking a double-whammy to save someone from death, which balances things out enough to leave it as an at-will.

ravenheart

Explorer
That's too far in the other direction. Dealing failed death saves to a character that is not below 0 hp is problematic. If it was just the necrotic damage, though, that would work. Then you are taking a double-whammy to save someone from death, which balances things out enough to leave it as an at-will.

I'm not so sure I find it that problematic, considering the thematic link this character has to the Raven Queen and the self-sacrificing mechanics of paladins in general. On the other hand, how would you treat a heart attack/stroke/aneurysm if it ever came up in play? Isn't it possible to visualize that as failing a death save while conscious and above 0 hp? Or, to give a more mystical example, let's say that a part of the paladins soul is severed from his mortal coil as he gives up a part of his own allotted time to change the strands of fate about to take his ally from this world. Couldn't such a noble and fantastic deed constitute as failing a death save?

That said, I guess I'm willing to go for either, but not both.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads