2[W] and Versatile?

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Traken said:
Link.

Personally, I think the +1 getting multiplied is correct. Either way, it's a swing of 4, maybe 5 damage, later on. Not much to be worried about.

That makes Greatsword irrelevant.

The only reason to use a Greatsword over a longsword two-handed is the greater damage when using exploits.

The RAW clearly states that [w] means damage die. +1 isn't a damage die, it ain't included anymore than your strenght bonus is.

Felon

First Post
Traken said:
Link.

Personally, I think the +1 getting multiplied is correct. Either way, it's a swing of 4, maybe 5 damage, later on. Not much to be worried about.
What some folks take issue with is that a greatsword starts looking pretty crappy in comparison, since the average damage will even out.

jasin

Explorer
Mal Malenkirk said:
The RAW clearly states
The developer clearly states the intent was otherwise. Do you think we should go with the letter over the spirit when we have clear record of both?

Xsjado

First Post
Mal Malenkirk said:
The only reason to use a Greatsword over a longsword two-handed is the greater damage when using exploits.
Isn't that the whole point though? Exploits are a big part of combat and if you're going to play a 2h build then you'd be best off going for that extra damage. That way you will always be doing the extra damage with your exploits and thus more average damage. If you use a longsword 2 handed purely on the off chance that you may need the second hand at some point you've missed out on a major chance to optimise.

Harr

First Post
How in the world does what Mearls said lead to the +1 being multiplied?? He's talking about a completely different thing.

There are two issues here:

1) whether the bonus is multiplied along with the weapon die in the [W] (the PHB VERY clearly, directly and specifically says that it is not, along with several examples. It's not ambiguous in the least).

2) whether a longsword is counted as a two-handed weapon for purposes for the Fighter's Weapon Talent and powers that key off of wielding two handed weapons. This is what Mearls was talking about. The answer is yes.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Harr said:
How in the world does what Mearls said lead to the +1 being multiplied?? He's talking about a completely different thing.

There are two issues here:

1) whether the bonus is multiplied along with the weapon die in the [W] (the PHB VERY clearly, directly and specifically says that it is not, along with several examples. It's not ambiguous in the least).

2) whether a longsword is counted as a two-handed weapon for purposes for the Fighter's Weapon Talent and powers that key off of wielding two handed weapons. This is what Mearls was talking about. The answer is yes.

Exactly.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
jasin said:
The developer clearly states the intent was otherwise. Do you think we should go with the letter over the spirit when we have clear record of both?

You misread Mearl's post. Wasn't talking about the +1 to damage.

Edit : What Harr said.

Last edited:

Traken

First Post
Harr said:
1) The Mearls quote and my opinion didn't correlate. I simply posted that for info.

2) WHERE does it clearly, directly and specifically say, with multiple examples, that the +1 is not multiplied?

Instances of [W] in the PHB:
  • PHB 57, no mention of versatile.
  • Power Chapter... nope, not there.
  • PHB 217, under High-Crit, no mention of versatile.
  • PHB 219, makes no mention of versatile.
  • PHB 276, no mention of versatile.
  • PHB 287, no mention of versatile.

Here's where I reached my opinion:

PHB 217: Versatile - Versatile weapons are one-handed, but you can use them two-handed. If you do, you deal an extra 1 point of damage when you roll damage for the weapon.

PHB 219: Damage - (paraphrase) When you hit, roll the weapons damage dice the number of times in front of [W].

Therefore, since you roll the damage multiple times, you also deal 1 extra point of damage for each roll.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Traken said:
Therefore, since you roll the damage multiple times, you also deal 1 extra point of damage for each roll.

A damage roll in 4e parlance is not each die individually, it's all the dice together.

[3W] isn't three roll, it's just one. Versatile says you add one point to the damage roll therefore we get [3W]+1.

Remove ads