• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2005 -- A Good Year For 'Rules Lite' FRPGs?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
DMScott said:
That's probably because you ignored the part represented by the ellipsis, which is "where the rules reflect the setting rather than constrain it." Class-based systems, by definition, constrain character representations to those archetypes covered by the classes, which obviously has a large impact on setting.

Okay, but I don't see how a system "where the rules reflect the setting rather than constrain it" has anything to do with whether that system is rules heavy or rules lite.

E.g.: Two systems designed specifically for Glorantha, Heroquest and RQ (1e & 2e), differ vastly in terms of being 'rules lite' and 'rules heavy'.

Maybe I'm misssing something here? (Quite possible... :) )

DMScott said:
That's neither here nor there, of course - claiming "a particular system is complex, so that implies all systems of that type are complex" is a pretty ridiculous line of argument.

Well, that would indeed be a problematic inference, and that was not what I was claiming. I merely mentioned those systems as examples.

The Sophist

First Post
Treebore said:
I'm psyched about C&C! ...

I love the C&C take on the ranger, knight, and bard classes. At last, the ranger is 'done right' as a serious woodland warrior and scout (and no longer a wimpy pseudo-druid). The the bard is a true 'skald': a tough soldier whose chants inspire warriors to great prowess (and not a minstrel/pseudo-illusionist). This is the first time I have ever wanted to play a bard.

We played our first C&C session tonight. It rocked. Fast pace and lots of actions. Definitely some fun ahead ... :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads