• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2007 Judge Selection

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
fusangite said:
I think one of the problems we also need to resolve is that people want more than one thing out of their judges. The judges have a bunch of jobs:
1. Picking the best products
2. Publicly representing the image of the awards and the community in gaming media, online and in person
3. Making the judging panel cohere as an effective team
4. Doing additional volunteer work for the awards

I think that when people vote in the awards, based on past results, factors 2 and 3 tend to rank up there in the considerations of voters. It's not all about #1. We are electing something closer to a high school student council than a panel of game systems experts.

Well, I personally feel that #3 is rather a prerequisite for #1 - if thejudges don't ahve their act together, they can't pick things properly. It isn't a separate job, really.

I know the judges have to spend some time at the booth, but that's part of #2, really. I'd think we shoudl try to scare up other volunteers for things that aren't related to #2, specifically. The judges have enough to do.

fusangite

First Post
C.W.Richeson said:
If that's the case then I wish it had been more clearly stated. I entered and promoted the voting where I could with the understanding that the ENnies were striving to be an industry wide award for the best in roleplaying gaming.

I think I feel that, if you don't have the best products competing for the awards to begin with then the rest is somewhat unimportant as the awards lack credibility.
BUt people don't develop confidence in the awards based on an objective assessment of the reviewing skills of the panel. They base their confidence on how credible the panel appears to be. As with any representative office, performance is part of the gig.

C.W.Richeson

Explorer
fusangite said:
BUt people don't develop confidence in the awards based on an objective assessment of the reviewing skills of the panel. They base their confidence on how credible the panel appears to be. As with any representative office, performance is part of the gig.

I'm not so sure that telling folk the whole thing is about appearances, and not actual ability, will fill anyone with confidence in the credibility of the judges :(

C.W.Richeson

Explorer
Umbran said:
Well, I personally feel that #3 is rather a prerequisite for #1 - if thejudges don't ahve their act together, they can't pick things properly. It isn't a separate job, really.

I agree 100%, my thoughts as well upon reading the list. I think it's a good list.

I know the judges have to spend some time at the booth, but that's part of #2, really. I'd think we shoudl try to scare up other volunteers for things that aren't related to #2, specifically. The judges have enough to do.

If I'm one then I certainly wouldn't mind spending time at the booth and otherwise supporting the awards. I'd be willing to bet that most or all of the nominees would be happy to help.

fusangite said:
They base their confidence on how credible the panel appears to be. As with any representative office, performance is part of the gig.
"The secret of acting is sincerity. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
-George Burns

Treebore

First Post
All we really do as judges is look at the products submitted and decide which are the 5 best in each category. I'm confident I can do that, and from the bios everyone else has I'm pretty sure everyone else nominated can do it as well.

I think the real test about the Judges is who will actually do all the work required of them. The time commitment to give the products their due consideration is the tough part. I know I can do it because I am self employed and set my own work schedule, which is pretty light anyways.

Crothian has proven he is willing and able to take vacation time off work.

I don't now about the other nominees.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
If I have my way, we'll announce the following year's judges at Gen Con Indy. That way they can take product home with 'em, rather than ship it, and get a head start on evaluations. With the increasing number of submissions, giving them plenty of time, I think, is a good thing!

C.W.Richeson said:
I think that in future years it would be great to do the whole thing about two weeks earlier. That way judge nominees who haven't decided on Gen Con yet will know if they should make definite plans.

Treebore

First Post
The only way I see for a smooth transition is to have the same judges two years in a row. Which is fine with me, but how would you make such a change/transition without it being confusing? Other than see about the judges keeping the job two years in a row?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads