• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2009 ENnies Judge Selection

zacharythefirst

First Post
This is an excellent field of candidates! Best of luck to them all!

I'll take my turn at the stump:

I'm hoping to be honored by your support for one more year. As I did with my threads on here and my work on RPG Blog II, I can promise you that I'll be a voice for accountability, honesty, and good communication for the whole process. I'll need a big, grassroots-style push from everyone I can to have a chance to win, so if you do wish to support me and want to blog it, put it in a sig, or give me an endorsement on the other board, I thank you for helping in giving me a chance to contribute to something that I think can be a positive, fun activity for this hobby. I hope you've enjoyed the work I've done so far, and help me continue in being open and direct with the entire awards process.

Above all, I hope you take the time to read about all the candidates, and make the decision you feel is best. I know we have other candidates on there who sometimes grace this board, and I hope I get to serve with them. Bottom line, I want to be your elected judge, your point of contact for the ENnies when you have questions, and someone who fights to keep what's working and fix what isn't--and recognize some truly wonderful, deserving gaming products, with an eye towards making sure every product, big and small, gets the best look possible.

So, I guess that's my stump time. Thanks, guys, and I'm looking forward to liveblogging Gen Con for you this week! :)

The_Universe

First Post
I was just thinking that I needed to make a huge stump speech about how I was going to be even MORE open than Zachary or Joe, but I honestly don't think I will be. I'll probably do some blogging of some sort, and post some details of the system I'll use to evaluate products (I'm happy to answer questions about it now, in fact), but I have to admit I'm unlikely to tip my hand to what products I plan to try to get nominated in my discussions with the other judges....

...and honestly, that's the reason. It's because the nominees are chosen in discussion with four other people, all of whom may hate my favorite thing. I'm not suggesting that I won't try to call attention to products that I think are good (I will); however, I do understand that being too open can be a bad thing, especially when products that were publicly lauded disappear from the nomination slate in the long process of seeking consensus among the judges.

There are a lot of products in almost every category, and narrowing it down to five that five people of reasonably disparate interests can agree on will be tough. Period.

To that end, I'd really recommend that people really look closely at the games each of the candidates (myself included) have said they liked in their posted questionnaires - and then pick people whose preferences seem to match your own. If you want your interests represented, try to find someone who already plans to do so, and vote for them. :)

In all seriousness, I hope that's me. After all - I'm trying to save you from a laser apolocalypse. ;)

I'm not big into blogging; I think it's a little one-sided and it tends to fragment the community. But I am looking forward to discussing new and interesting gaming products with the EN community, as I've done since the advent of 3e. I think it's important to not evaluate products in a vacuum -- there's too much stuff, and there's no way any judge can spend as much time with all the products as an individual gamer may spend with his favorite. I look forward to hearing about people's experiences with the various games that cross our desks.

One of the things I'd look forward to as a judge is being able to run new games at conventions and gamedays, and use that experience to really put different systems through the paces. Real playtime with gamers outside your normal group will be invaluable in seeing a product objectively, and hopefully remove any blinders I may have acquired over the years.

Please take a few minutes to read through all the candidates' questionaires -- there is an awesome slate this year -- and vote for those that you think can serve as your voice in the process. And yes, I hope I'm one of them!

And if you have any specific questions, please post! I know I and the other candidates would love to hear from you. The more people that get actively involved in the ENnies, the better.

Crothian

First Post
There can be only five . . .

Actually, I think once we know who the five are we are going to have a massive game of Jenga to pick the real winner :D

This is one of the hardest things I do every year. I want to win, but at the same time most everyone else running I count as friend or just someone I don't know well enough to call friend yet. It is tough to tell people not to vote for these qualified people. But, do it anyway and vote for Chris Gath!! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads