WotC 2020 Was The Best Year Ever For Dungeons & Dragons

darjr

I crit!
Sure, but that’s kinda like saying I’ve seen bread in more stores than the starter set.

Not exactly, but I hope you get what I mean. Note however I wasn’t addressing your whole point either. Just noting the Walmart angle.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I can at target as well, but Target doesn't exist in much of Rural America. I can find all the other listed items in much of rural America where Target (or gamestores or book stores) does not exist...
Raises hand.
I live in Rural America. I'm about to move to another city in Rural America. Both of these towns have Targets, and both of them have D&D products in them. There are nearly 2,000 Targets in the US. Also, you can get D&D stuff on Amazon, so there's also that.

Raises hand.
I live in Rural America. I'm about to move to another city in Rural America. Both of these towns have Targets, and both of them have D&D products in them. There are nearly 2,000 Targets in the US. Also, you can get D&D stuff on Amazon, so there's also that.

I'm Canadian and are Target stores went out of business in Canada, but you can get D&D and MtG stuff at gaming stores like 404 Games & Enter The Battlefield, Amazon, Walmart, Chapters, and possibly more. MtG, but not D&D can be found at EB Games and Toy'R'Us (we still have those).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'm Canadian and are Target stores went out of business in Canada, but you can get D&D and MtG stuff at gaming stores like 404 Games & Enter The Battlefield, Amazon, Walmart, Chapters, and possibly more. MtG, but not D&D can be found at EB Games and Toy'R'Us (we still have those).
Yep. I've visited Canada a few times, as where I currently live is Washington State, and we're fairly close to Canada, so I've gone there for school trips and other similar activities, and each time that I've visited, I've found plenty stores that sell M:tG and D&D products.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Raises hand.
I grew up in Wallowa county, Oregon, so I know what rural WA and OR look like ;) We would have to drive an hour and a half to get to a Target in LaGrande (assuming they have a target). Not sure where you life. North of Spokane area?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I grew up in Wallowa county, Oregon, so I know what rural WA and OR look like ;) We would have to drive an hour and a half to get to a Target in LaGrande (assuming they have a target). Not sure where you life. North of Spokane area?
Southwest, actually. Yakima County. I'm moving to Lincoln County, Oregon.

Last edited:

It depends on where you are, but yes, I have seen them in some Walmarts.

I've seen FAR more Witcher 3 (30 million sold, perhaps with families or couples that makes 50-60 million players?) games in Walmart around the nation than Starter Sets. Traveling right now, I'm in the middle of nowhere America. Today in the electronic section I saw Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 (but no Xbox ones or One X's in stock, accessories though) but neither had any D&D material at all. In fact, none of the stores in the area had D&D for the most part. There IS a game store though that I have not been to that probably has a set or two. It looks to be open only in the evenings on certain days. It seems no other store probably would have D&D in a 100 mile radius of where I'm at right now, including "Walmart" except that game store. The video games I listed are available at several locations (not just Walmart) though, including 3 in the nearby town (one electronics store it appears, and ironically it seems they actually still have a game and dvd rental store...which is crazy to see) with more of these types of stores in the other towns within the 100 mile radius.
Difference be you don't sell one book to each of the 50 mil players
You sell one or two books per table. Maybe 20% of the 50 mil
If even that. Lots might play 4th and 3rd Ed but still count as DnD players

And sales of a game like WITCHER III don't translate to play
Less than half of players played long enough to find Ciri

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Difference be you don't sell one book to each of the 50 mil players
You sell one or two books per table. Maybe 20% of the 50 mil
If even that. Lots might play 4th and 3rd Ed but still count as DnD players

And sales of a game like WITCHER III don't translate to play
Less than half of players played long enough to find Ciri
Not they don't say "TTRPG players". I think they measure the 'D&D community' as those who have interacted with the brand in some way -- so I guess that includes novels, or a video game, etc.

Remove ads