WotC 2020 Was The Best Year Ever For Dungeons & Dragons

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Well unless James Wyatts major project is a video of his interruptive dance routine or a new D&D themed line of fishing gear, or Amanada Hamon's major project is her vlog on how to yodel in elvish or Chris' Summer Adventure is hunting D&D players for real, then yes we know its a book (not a box set those don't take up slots). 😝🤪😈

A boxed set like the Essentials Kit would count as a major release. I don't know what WotC considers a major release, but its possible they count things like the Rick & Morty box, or Curse of Strahd: Revamped.

I think it's unlikely, but its possible.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I think it's great that people of all ages are playing and that 40% of the player base is female. I want the game to continue to succeed an grow.

However, I gotta admit I get tired of the term "Grognard" being tossed around. I find it kind of offensive to lump any category of gamers into a generic group. The term Grognard literally means "one who grumbles", it's an insult. Just as if I assumed all Gen Xers were the same [insert favorite stereotype here].
Grognard comes from a French term for "Old Soldier". Old Soldiers in the ttrpg community largely referring to the older players of previous editions.

I've heard the phrase since I was about 16 years old. And it has always been a term of endearment, to my ears. It's how I intended it. That's why I put in the little heart.

I apologize that it came across as an insult. It wasn't my intention, but it was the result.

(I'm also among the old soldiers compared to that 54%, by the by)

Sacrosanct

Legend
54% of active players are under 30. That's -amazing-.

It means the Grognards are -way- outnumbered! <3
Yes, it is a great thing. Because it means the game is growing and the hobby is getting a lot more people in it, including this next generation. I think we all (grogs like myself included) agree on.

Thinking it's a great thing because grognards are becoming more of a minority? Seems a weird thing to celebrate when there are plenty of good reasons to celebrate that figure that isn't denigrating another group of people.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There are more players in just the 35–39 age range than in the entire 40+ range!

Does that seem odd to anyone else? What exactly happens to people when they turn 40 that causes such a steep dropoff?
I don't 5hink that's the right way to look at the numbers: there isn't necessarily a drop off of people 40+ who played and then stopped, it's that so many new people have started recently that the compariaonnisbiffbthe charts. Hence why Winninger feels confident in saying that D&D is bigger now than in the 80's.

Remove ads