D&D 5E 2022 & 2023 Predictions Thread!

2022 & 2023 Predictions Thread!

Okay we got a pile of new info, plus some old info, what are your predictions for next year and 2023.

I will note while we got 5 books this year, we were supposed to get 6, buy supply chain and shipping issues happened, welcome to 2021.

anywho, we know so far thar 2021 will have 2.5 classic settings, a scary, terrifying new setting, an adventure anthology, and most likely a big "Summer" adventure. We also know Mordenkaiken Presents: .Monsters of the Multiverse will be coming out next year in gift box and by itself forms.

Do you think there will be any Tasha/Xanathar style books or Volo/Mordenkain style books for next year?

Mercurius

Legend
I put my speculations here, but will address one element you raised.

They've pretty much stuck to one splat per year, and I think that's Monsters of the Multiverse. But there will be a ton of new rules stuff in whatever planar book(s) comes out.

I think we'll get six books next year and probably six the next (or maybe seven, if sales are good on all six in 2022).

Do you think there will be any Tasha/Xanathar style books or Volo/Mordenkain style books for next year?
To reframe the question, as everyone needs more monster books: what monsters haven't been highlighted yet? Volo's gave us coverage of beholders and illithids, Mordenkainen's covered the blood war, and Fizban's will soon cover dragons. What iconic D&D monster(s) could be up next?

Given the current big adventure, I'd love to see more coverage of the fey, and I could totally see some Lovecraftian abberations getting some time in the proverbial sun. There's also a somewhat surprising lack of celestial statblocks so far in 5e.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
What I’d like to see:

Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse - crunch book.

Adventures in Exandria - adventure anthology set in the world of Critical Role. Mostly because everyone over on Giant in the Playground is convinced something like this is happening next year.

Shemeska’s Tour of Sigil - Planescape campaign setting.

Lantan: They came from the Phlogiston! - Forgotten Realms-to-Spelljammer adventure.

The Wanderer’s Guide to Athas - Dark Sun campaign setting.

I put my speculations here, but will address one element you raised.

They've pretty much stuck to one splat per year, and I think that's Monsters of the Multiverse. But there will be a ton of new rules stuff in whatever planar book(s) comes out.

I think we'll get six books next year and probably six the next (or maybe seven, if sales are good on all six in 2022).

The only problem with that guess is Monsters of the Multiverse was originally intended for THIS year.

Mercurius

Legend
The only problem with that guess is Monsters of the Multiverse was originally intended for THIS year.
Right. But we were also supposed to get a 5th book last year, so the whole schedule is off from their original intention. We don't know if they had planned to do 5 books last year and 5 this (including MotM), or 5-6...?

I think we can say with some degree of certainty that next year will be at least 5, with a chance of 6, and maybe a tiny chance of 7. It could also be that 2021-23 represents a ramp up of 5-6-7.

My main point is that I think they're going to diverge from the "less is more" approach of 2014-17. They ran the company with a skeleton crew and outsourced some books, and didn't know how popular 5E would be. Once it became clear that it was a success, they planned to increase to 4 in 2018, then 5 eventually if things held. And now that it is clear that it is a gargantuan success, they might be considering playing with it, and going up to 6 or more.

I don't think they'll go back to 2E-4E era production, but there's a lot of room to play with between 3-4 books a year and 12+. There may be a sweet-spot somewhere in-between that doesn't glut the market. Considering the focus on stories and worlds, a total of 6-8 major products a year might be sustainable.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Right. But we were also supposed to get a 5th book last year, so the whole schedule is off from their original intention. We don't know if they had planned to do 5 books last year and 5 this (including MotM), or 5-6...?

I think we can say with some degree of certainty that next year will be at least 5, with a chance of 6, and maybe a tiny chance of 7. It could also be that 2021-23 represents a ramp up of 5-6-7.

My main point is that I think they're going to diverge from the "less is more" approach of 2014-17. They ran the company with a skeleton crew and outsourced some books, and didn't know how popular 5E would be. Once it became clear that it was a success, they planned to increase to 4 in 2018, then 5 eventually if things held. And now that it is clear that it is a gargantuan success, they might be considering playing with it, and going up to 6 or more.

I don't think they'll go back to 2E-4E era production, but there's a lot of room to play with between 3-4 books a year and 12+. There may be a sweet-spot somewhere in-between that doesn't glut the market. Considering the focus on stories and worlds, a total of 6-8 major products a year might be sustainable.
I imagine they‘ll slowly push up the number of books each year until they find the “ceiling.” How many can they publish in a year before sales start slowing down? Then make that the new standard.

Remove ads