D&D 5E 2022 & 2023 Predictions Thread!

Mercurius

Legend
Here's something I could see, which would fit the "new format" and "classic setting": A new starter set, but focused on a single world. Imagine a "Dark Sun Campaign Set" that combined Essentials-style rules treatment with an adventure and region of Dark Sun (e.g. Tyr).

This could be followed by a fuller treatment of the setting as a hardback, or maybe a follow-up box that offers a fuller campaign.

It would be a "new format" in that it would combine a starter rules set and a campaign setting, and include digital augmentations - side quests, pre-gens, maybe extra monsters and such.

It could also work for Dragonlance, as a multi-part series, say three box sets that cover the entire War of the Lance. But that would be quite an investment without knowing how it would do.

Mercurius

Legend
I imagine they‘ll slowly push up the number of books each year until they find the “ceiling.” How many can they publish in a year before sales start slowing down? Then make that the new standard.
Yes, that's my thinking, too. I mean, I like "less is more," but it would be foolish to have continued with 3, even 4, books a year when there are (allegedly) 50 million "D&D fans" around the world.

That "ceiling" you mention could also change, depending upon how big D&D gets, and where it "plateaus" once there's inevitable contract. If they add a new product each year, they can adjust accordingly.

Here's something I could see, which would fit the "new format" and "classic setting": A new starter set, but focused on a single world. Imagine a "Dark Sun Campaign Set" that combined Essentials-style rules treatment with an adventure and region of Dark Sun (e.g. Tyr).

This could be followed by a fuller treatment of the setting as a hardback, or maybe a follow-up box that offers a fuller campaign.

It would be a "new format" in that it would combine a starter rules set and a campaign setting, and include digital augmentations - side quests, pre-gens, maybe extra monsters and such.

It could also work for Dragonlance, as a multi-part series, say three box sets that cover the entire War of the Lance. But that would be quite an investment without knowing how it would do.

They said different to hardcovers AND Box sets.

Mercurius

Legend
They said different to hardcovers AND Box sets.
I know what they said. They also said it won't be digital (or digital-only), so I suspect by "new format" they don't simply mean the physical nature of the product, but what it is composed of.

I just don't see how they can create non-digital product that doesn't involve, well, books and paper and cardboard. I mean, maybe they are planning a slipcase with softcovers and calling that a "new format." Or maybe a series of trade paperback-sized booklets. Who knows.

My theories: the two settings that are being updated would be Planescape (willing to put money on it) and Dark Sun. The "returning" setting will be a full-fledged Forgotten Realms campaign setting (I'm thinking they hold off on Greyhawk until the 50th). The "sneak peek" will be an adventure with a Spelljammer section, probably the one hinted at with the Boo cover. The "new scary" place that we'll be visiting soon will be an adventure that will in part take place in the Far Realm. One of the totally new campaign settings will be the Domains of Delight, with the Feywild being something of a "twisted fairy tale" setting, along the lines of Witchlight. As for any upcoming splats, I'm really not sure, as both Tasha's and Fizban's will still be relatively recent in 2022. If they actually develop a full-fledged psionic system for Dark Sun, then I would expect a player's option splat with that system being reprinted...

I know what they said. They also said it won't be digital (or digital-only), so I suspect by "new format" they don't simply mean the physical nature of the product, but what it is composed of.

I just don't see how they can create non-digital product that doesn't involve, well, books and paper and cardboard. I mean, maybe they are planning a slipcase with softcovers and calling that a "new format." Or maybe a series of trade paperback-sized booklets. Who knows.
I'm puzzling over this as well. If it's not a hardcover, and it's not a boxed set, and it's not digital, then... ?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

Dragonlance is a good setting to be released with an innovative format. Not sure exactly what would be best, but the module series makes it something that can be split into parts, or into a box, or several books.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I know they'd never do it, but personally I'd love to see a return of the old staple-bound 36-page adventures. Sell them singly, or sell them in bundles of 6 themed ones (maybe a "path") at a slight discount per module.

Remove ads