D&D 5E 2022 WoTC Books?

HammerMan

Legend
Gully Dwarfs and Kender or...? Honestly I'm interested to hear.
A race of thieves that can't help themselves but people love them anyway because they are magic/supernatural unable to learn a basic concept... Yup, no propaganda there...
A race that is put down less intelligent and made to be the but of jokes about races being dumb...I'm sure that goes over well in 2022.

GreyLord

Legend
I would count Planesjammer as Spelljammer for the purposes of this conversation.

Your the one who suggested Star Frontiers.
It could many things, among which could be a Manual of the Planes type book where various iterations of the idea are explored.

Which means it would not be Planescape or Spelljammer, but a book on Plane Travelling and travelling between worlds in various manners. It may be like Fizban's where you have an Known NPC's name on the book, but the book itself is something that can be applied to ALL campaigns, not just a specific one like Spelljammer or Planescape.

I'd think that if there is a campaign book released it may also be similar to Theros or Stryxhaven in that it will be a new Campaign setting for D&D, but not necessarily new as it may have been utilized previously in another game or system.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The novel that WotC didn't want published, is not promoting, that the authors went to court to avoid making the changes WotC wanted, and has it's own branding to distinguish it from any WotC products?

Yeah - no.
Sounds like there's a lot of assumptions in your post with weak foundations. If you read W&H legal complaint, everything was running smothly until pedo-boy got involved as the WotC liason.

Mezuka

Hero
Honestly though I am shocked we've never seen a Quantum Leap RPG. It seems like for a small group (say 2-4 players) all leaping into various people in a situation that could work great.
GURPS Timed Travel does Quantum Leap. There was a 60s show before that called The Time Tunnel which I watched avidly as a kid.

Time Tunnel: The Time Tunnel - Wikipedia

GURPS: GURPS Time Travel

Last edited:

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Sounds like there's a lot of assumptions in your post with weak foundations. If you read W&H legal complaint, everything was running smothly until pedo-boy got involved as the WotC liason.
I don't know much about Nic Kelman other than he works for WotC's magic team, was the liaison on this deal, and wrote a book a long time ago that's either in genre with Nabokov's Lolita, as trying to get inside the mind of the monsters (per some reviews I pulled up just now), or else is really, really, REALLY bad erotica.

But that's what that is… fiction. Did Nic Kelman actually do any bad things?

There's a wide gulf between writing fiction and doing things. I do think that if that book was intentionally written as an expression of his world view and fantasies that that could mean that he brought that into his editorial work with the Dragonlance writers in such a way that hurt their work or made them uncomfortable, but this is all speculation. I'm not defending him or WotC, nor do I desire to equivocate or create a false sense of "both sides" - just that these things are complicated and speculation based on our limited information usually leads to demonisation of the other REALLY REALLY fast.

And then that leads to thread-crapping. So let's not use buzz words like the above UNLESS the guy is actually a criminal, right? Maybe I missed it in my puruse of googling him just now. It's quite possible. But if not, then maybe lets pull back on the speculation re: why the deal got on shaky ground?

Especially when this thread is literally about something almost completely unrelated: what D&D sourcebooks we're getting from WotC in 2022. Dragonlance novels are not sourcebooks. They may imply that we get a Dragonlance source book or not as tie-in. But we're getting the novels after all in the end. So really, that tangent is just the fast-lane towards shutting down the thread for no good reason.

Mezuka

Hero
And then that leads to thread-crapping. So let's not use buzz words like the above UNLESS the guy is actually a criminal, right? Maybe I missed it in my puruse of googling him just now. It's quite possible. But if not, then maybe lets pull back on the speculation re: why the deal got on shaky ground?

Especially when this thread is literally about something almost completely unrelated: what D&D sourcebooks we're getting from WotC in 2022. Dragonlance novels are not sourcebooks. They may imply that we get a Dragonlance source book or not as tie-in. But we're getting the novels after all in the end. So really, that tangent is just the fast-lane towards shutting down the thread for no good reason.
Thank you!

Dragonlance has been one of the most popular D&D lines, and it deserves a new opportunity, but for a successful revival it needs enough space for the fandom creative. If the setting becomes boring without the most famous characters or heroes then something in the design is wrong. But when the fandom starts to publish faction and fanart then the idea is working.

The best way to keep the balance between tradition and changes are to allow total options to customice the PCs in a future Dragonlance videogame, but the original and classic Dragonlance campaign may be too "railroad".

I haved said Hasbro would wish an adaption to the screen of the novels, and I suggest a CGI animation, but we can't know if it is produced by Paramount or other. We could bet for the return of the saga, but maybe not in this "phase" yet. It is too important to risk to fail with a hitbox bomb.

A spin-off cartoon about kenders? Maybe.

If it is something with "crunch", as subclasses and PC races the answer will be Spelljammer, or a fusion of Spelljammer+Planescape. The other option is an updated version of classic modules.

darjr

I crit!
The novel that WotC didn't want published, is not promoting, that the authors went to court to avoid making the changes WotC wanted, and has it's own branding to distinguish it from any WotC products?

Yeah - no.
The authors were making changes to the book that WotC wanted. As the lawsuite said, several pages of content. It wasn't until one guy, who later "resigned" from wotc made more demands and instead of ending the contract came up with a weird "we'll not approve anymore drafts" goofyness. I think we'll see about the promotion.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
The authors were making changes to the book that WotC wanted. As the lawsuite said, several pages of content. It wasn't until one guy, who later "resigned" from wotc made more demands and instead of ending the contract came up with a weird "we'll not approve anymore drafts" goofyness. I think we'll see about the promotion.
this does not infer that we will be getting a setting book for it only that we are now getting a fiction book.

Remove ads