• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

20th level commoner?!

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Peasants, nobles and tradesmen don't have classes, levels or XP. They have a handful of hp, maybe a few points of BAB and saves and the ability to do whatever it is that is their role in the world.

Slapzilla

First Post
I do think if you live an interesting life, you can be an epic level commoner by retirement age. I also think that as you go through life, you pick a few things up along the way. You and I would just as easily get killed by a crossbow bolt as would a 2nd level NPC, but that doesn't mean that we are all COM2s. I think the age system is not nearly generous enough unless you live all your life in an empty cave. I'm a 37 year old carpenter. Am I a COM1/EXP1? My hit points would certainly justfy that. Outside of hit points, what level am I? Do I only have two feats (being Human) and if so, what are they? I wonder what my Craft:Carpentry skill is... (5 I hope). My point is that NPC are just as wide and varied as PCs and you'll run across a legendary blacksmith one in a great while. A 20th level expert with max ranks in Craft:Blacksmithing and Skill Focus:Blacksmithing and is pretty intelligent to boot. On a 1 he still beats a 30. Is Bill Gates a Exp2? Of course not. I think the NPC classes are great because it reflects MOST of the world. The PC classes are the exception, not the rule. It's easy to forget that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads