• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

20th level Wizard spells

Allensh

Explorer
I want to make sure I understand this so I am asking here...

1.) How many daily atack spells and utility spells does a 20th level human wizard with the Expanded Spellbook feat have in his spellbook?

2.) How many daily attack spslls and utility spells can he cast per day? (I am thinking its four daily and five utility)

Thanks,

Math-impaired Allen

Last edited:

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
I want to make sure I understand this so I am asking here...

1.) How many daily atack spells and utility spells does a 20th level human wizard with the Expanded Spellbook feat have in his spellbook?

2.) How many daily attack spslls and utility spells can he cast per day? (I am thinking its four daily and five utility)

Thanks,

Math-impaired Allen

First, a step-by-step detailed approach.

You gain a daily attack spell at:
--1st level
--5th level
--9th level
--20th level

You gain a utility spell at:
--2nd level
--6th level
--10th level
--12th level
--16th level

You know 2 1st-level dailies, 2 5th-level dailies, 2 9th-level dailies, and 2 20th-level dailies, and you may cast one from each pair per day. You know 2 2nd-level utilities, 2 6th-level utilities, 2 10-level utilities, 2 12-level utilities, and 2 16-level utilities, and you may cast one from each pair per day.

If you have the Expanded Spellbook feat, the number of spells you know changes from 2 of each level to 3 of each level--so you know 2 1st-level dailies, 2 5th-level dailies, 2 9th-level dailies, and 2 20th-level dailies, plus 2 2nd-level utilities, 2 6th-level utilities, 2 10-level utilities, 2 12-level utilities, and 2 16-level utilities--but the number of spells you can cast remains the same.

Thus, to answer your question simply, you have 12 daily and 15 utility spells in your spellbook and may cast 4 daily and 5 utility spells per day, one from each level.

theNater

First Post
My counts are as follows:

Spells known: 6 wizard daily, 1 paragon path daily, 8 wizard utility, 1 paragon path utility.
With the Expanded Spellbook feat, wizard dailies become 9 and wizard utilities become 12.
Edit: Expanded Spellbook does not provide additional utility powers. They will remain at 8.

Spells per day: 3 wizard daily, 1 paragon path daily, 4 wizard utility, 1 paragon path utility.
Spells per day are not affected by the Expanded Spellbook feat.

Last edited:

Tellerve

If you have it, the DMG page 143 has a great chart outlining powers by level and makes it easy to understand I think. Should really be something in the phb, but whatever.

Tellerve

ironpoet

First Post
My counts are as follows:

Spells known: 6 wizard daily, 1 paragon path daily, 8 wizard utility, 1 paragon path utility.
With the Expanded Spellbook feat, wizard dailies become 9 and wizard utilities become 12.

Spells per day: 3 wizard daily, 1 paragon path daily, 4 wizard utility, 1 paragon path utility.
Spells per day are not affected by the Expanded Spellbook feat.

Unless I'm missing something, Expanded Spellbook only increases the number of known Daily Attack spells. It does not affect the number of Utility Spells.

Vayden

First Post
Unless I'm missing something, Expanded Spellbook only increases the number of known Daily Attack spells. It does not affect the number of Utility Spells.

You are correct - it's a common mistake, since people assume that you're just going "when I have 2 in spellbook for level x, now I have 3". Unfortunately, that's just for the attack spells, not the utility ones.

Seeker_of_Truth

First Post
By Bob... he's right!

Houserule time!

It certainly would make the feat attractive if it worked with utility spells. Personally my wizard would jump at the chance to get a version of expanded spellbook that only worked for utility spells, but has almost no desire to take one that only works for dailies.

Allensh

Explorer
9 wizard dailies and 8 wizard utility spells is what I came up with too. if I have this right, I can cast 4 per day of the wizard spells and 5 per day of the utility spells...but apparently the daily spells have to be one from each pair? I can't just chose the four that I want to use the most?

Allen

Remove ads