• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

20th level Wizard spells

Dalzig

First Post
9 wizard dailies and 8 wizard utility spells is what I came up with too. if I have this right, I can cast 4 per day of the wizard spells and 5 per day of the utility spells...but apparently the daily spells have to be one from each pair? I can't just chose the four that I want to use the most?

Allen

Right, you get one of each level spell.

Seeker_of_Truth

First Post
9 wizard dailies and 8 wizard utility spells is what I came up with too. if I have this right, I can cast 4 per day of the wizard spells and 5 per day of the utility spells...but apparently the daily spells have to be one from each pair? I can't just chose the four that I want to use the most?

Allen

Minor nit-pick. Some of the utility powers might be encounter or even at-will powers allowing you to cast them more than once each day.

Allensh

Explorer
Noww...when I reach those levels where I can replace daily spells...do I have to replace all three that I gained from Enhanced Spellbook or do I only replace one?

Allen

Kordeth

First Post
Noww...when I reach those levels where I can replace daily spells...do I have to replace all three that I gained from Enhanced Spellbook or do I only replace one?

Allen

You certainly don't have to replace all three, but the text is somewhat unclear about whether you're allowed to if you want.

Seeker_of_Truth

First Post
from the FAQ http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...y5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1
7. How does retraining and multiclassing work with the spellbook?

If you retrain a daily or utility power you only retrain one of your two choices for that level, if you choose a lower level power while retraining it still occupies the same level. If you swap a power with a power from a different class through multiclassing or replace a power because of gaining levels you replace both spell choices with the new power.​
8. Can a 5th level wizard memorize two 5th level daily spells instead of a 1st and a 5th level daily spell?

At the end of each long rest, a wizard prepares one 1st-level Daily spell chosen from the list of 1st level daily spells in her spellbook. If she were at least 2nd level, she would also prepare one 2nd-level utility spell chosen from the list of 2nd-level utility spells in her spellbook. At 5th level she would also prepare one 5th-level daily spell from her list of 5th-level daily spells in her spellbook. She would repeat this process for every level that she has access to wizard daily or utility spells. She could not, as a 5th-level wizard, prepare a second 5th-level daily spell in place of a daily spell of a different level.​

ST

First Post
And considering how the way this all works is really not clear in the books alone (that's a big chunky section in the FAQ that basically says "oops this is what we meant to say"), it seems extremely reasonable to houserule how this stuff works. :)

Allensh

Explorer

That seems a bit confusing...if I understand this when I hit Level 15 if I want to replace my 1st level daily spells with 15th level ones because I have gone up a level, I have to replace all three? or can I replace only one and retain the other two? I am not talking about retraining due to level increase but just the natural acquistion of powers as I go up levels.

Here's the background on this: a friend of mine is running a game for 20th level characters so I suddenly find myself trying to grasp the mechanics of playing a high level wizard when we have mostly been working with lower level characters. Last session I messed up big time, so now I am trying to make sure I do it right this time.

Allen

Allensh

Explorer
I juat spoke with a gentleman named Tony at Wizards Customer Service and he said that when you replace spells at level 15 and 19 you replace only ONE spell from the three chosen (due to having Expanded Spellbook; otherwise it would be two). So that would mean you would have: two 1st level, two 5th level, 3 9th level, 1 15th level and 1 19th level spell in your spellbook.

Allen

Allensh

Explorer
Over on the Wizards boards, it seems to be felt that the CustServ rep I spoke with was confusing retraining with replacing, and that when you REPLACE your 1st level spells you replace all three of them. Given that this jibes with the FAQ and the chart in the DMG, that's what I am going with.

Allen

Danceofmasks

First Post
When replacing L1 spells with L15 spells, you have to replace all 3.
However (PHB p28), when choosing a power, you can always choose a power of a lower level.

So ... you can replace sleep, flaming sphere, acid arrow with prismatic beams, wall of ice, sleep

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads