• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

224 page book on Drow yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishbone

First Post
No, Drow make lousy protagonists. Level Adjustment plus a Constitution hit equals bad protagonist. No non-associated classes or racial dice to give them good saves, attacks, and abilities for modest raises in CR doom them to having both lousy offense and defense. What the hell is so good about drow?
Hmm, this book could get pared back to 160 pages, be a 30 dollar book, and still outsell more deserving books like Magic of Incarnum, PHBII, or Tome of Battle just because of some Drow cheesecake pictures and a 13 year old so-so fantasy series tie in.

Agamon

Adventurer
I can count he number of drow PCs in games in the last 20 years on 1 finger (if you count half-drow). I've had them as a secondary antagonist in one of my homebrew games. The only other time they've been the bad guys is the couple times I've run Spider Queen (or more appropriately, the adventures therein).

So, seeing as how I've been thinking of doing an FR Underdark game when we finish our current game (AoW AP), this will come in handy, I think.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Drow Girlfriend at a Party

RangerWickett said:
worthless.gif

Here you go:

Not Safe for Work http://daos.org/cgi-bin/photo/index...icture=Drow Couple NYP 2003.jpg&maxWidth=9999

catsclaw227

First Post
Dykstrav said:
I basically agree with all of this. Drow were cool for about 2 months in 1993...

I have stated in the past that the Drow War series by Adrian Bott and Mongoose was REALLY worth it, and going in I was rolling my eyes at another drow treatment. And Mongoose has the bundle for $75.00 on their website. That's about 750 pages of adventure in 3 256 page books. The adventure series was quite good. Level 1-30(!) and diverse.

They also had a few other Drow books, the Tome of Drow Lore, Sheoloth City of the Drow and I think there may have been another too...

Vanuslux

Explorer
I liked the first handful of novels R.A. Salvatore did a lot. To be honest, the Crystal Shard was what got me interested in D&D enough to try it out. I didn't fixate on one aspect of those books, though, as many seem to have. I've never played a Drow nor have I ever really had much interest in playing them. I lost interest in the R.A. Salvatore's FR novels as they whored themselves more and more to the drow lover market.

Anyway, that's just to give a little context when I say that I'm very disappointed to see this book coming out because I would have much preferred a Races of the Underdark type book in the style of Races of the Dragon. Since the Drow would be the obvious headliners for said book, there's not much chance that we'll see it now.

Psion

Adventurer
Land Outcast said:
Giants: check
Fey: ?

Fey Magic (Mongoose) (so so)
Faeries (Bastion Press) (better)
Complete Guide to Fey (Goodman) (probably the best)

Faeries a bit stronger on the setting material aspect, and Complete Guide gives you some cool tools to customize your own fey.

Treebore

First Post
Land Outcast said:
Giants: check
Fey: ?

To start? Goodman games Compleat Guide to the Fey.

Mongoose has one as well. Bastion Press did one with a good bit of decent ideas. There are others, but I haven't bought them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads