D&D General $299 D&D Anniversary Sapphire Dice

This just dropped into my inbox. $299.99, limited run, available directly from WotC.

This just dropped into my inbox. $299.99, limited run, available directly from WotC.

0CA21444-6CC9-4F4A-9D4B-CAD53EC99F53.png

Celebrate Forty-Five Years of Dungeons & Dragons and Five Years of D&D Fifth Edition with theD&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Set

Only 1,974 sets - featuring a gnome-grown* sapphire gem - will be available to the public on November 21!

RENTON, WA – Nov. 11, 2019 – It’s been five years since Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition launched, and the explosion of D&D’s popularity since then has been a wonder to behold! Now fans can celebrate D&D through the D&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Set, available directly from Wizards of the Coast starting at 11a.m. (PT) on November 21, 2019. The set commemorates both 5 years of 5e AND forty-five years since D&D’s first publication in 1974.

“When the D&D team realized the sapphire is the traditional anniversary stone for both five years and forty-five years, and that adding a laboratory-created sapphire to a twenty-sided die wouldn’t jeopardize the integrity of a roll, we couldn’t pass up the chance to make something really cool to celebrate the milestones” said Nathan Stewart, VP of the D&D Franchise at Wizards of the Coast. “The team put together a fun product for our fans that includes art and newly updated stats for sapphire dragons, making these classic dragons ready for play in your next D&D session.”

The D&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Set includes eleven custom-designed aluminum dice from Level Up Dice. Embedded in one of the d20s is a sapphire lovingly grown** by a rock gnome artificer in a charmingly-cluttered workshop. Additionally, each set includes a high-quality dice box and a matching dice tray displaying the ampersand, fifth edition D&D stats and details introducing the sapphire dragon, commemorative stickers, and a sequentially numbered collector’s card confirming the set’s authenticity. Oh, and every die, except that extra-special d20 has an engraved ampersand on the highest number - boosting your D&D cred whenever you roll max damage with that trusty battleaxe!

Only 1,974 D&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Setswill be available to the public, so mark November 21st at 11am Pacific Time on your calendar so you don’t miss out! These dice sets will only be available directly from Wizards of the Coast at a price of $299.99 (USD). For more product information, including more images of these beautiful dice, head to D&D Sapphire Anniversary Dice Set.

Join in the celebration of D&D’s forty-fifth anniversary and pick-up this beautiful dice set when it’s available on November 21st!

* Okay, you caught us. Humans grew these sapphires in laboratories on Earth. Sorry.

** Still kidding. Still lab-grown by humans.

48FA9FCB-0BAA-46A7-84F1-F4FFAAEFCF4E.png

Dire Bare

Legend
Yay! They put a rock in some plastic dice and are charging $300. I think you can get an entire set of rock dice for way less.
Go back and read post #1.

These dice are machined aluminum with a sapphire gemstone anchored in each die. Not plastic.

The price for these is high, but not unreasonable considering the materials and manufacture . . . well, barring flaws like Andrew is experiencing.

If such high-end luxury collectibles aren't your cup of tea, that's reasonable. I'd never pay that much for a set of dice. But nothing wrong with folks who do find these types of items worth purchasing. Doesn't get in the way of you and I picking up another set of standard, plastic polyhedrals.

Dire Bare

Legend
Unfortunately, after a week+ has now passed with no further word from Mike or WotC support (I did ping him on 12/2 to what he'd heard, but only got a short "nothing yet - hope to hear something soon" in reply), I've thrown in the towel. After an email asking for a refund rather than a replacement went unanswered, I contacted my credit card company for a dispute/chargeback. Hopefully I'll at least have a provisional credit back to me before Christmas so I can spend my money elsewhere.

To be honest, the whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding WotC. For the amount being charged for these (insane, I know -this was a purchase only on my part due to both a windfall for my wife and I, and this having been a pretty big milestone career anniversary they were purchased for), I would have expected them to come unblemished, and for returns to be more customer friendly (I know there are extenuating circumstances with Covid, but this has dragged on far too long, and the lack of replies to my later emails has been frustrating to say the least). I super appreciate Mike reaching out and making an attempt to make things right, but if even he can't get so much as a reply from the returns people after a week, I'm afraid I have little faith in WotC or it's ability to get this fixed or provide a set worth what was paid for them (ie, undamaged).

Oh, and to the "They put a rock in some plastic dice" comment - I know it was a frivolous purchase (see above), but in at least lightly in my defense, they're not plastic but hard-anodized, CNC-milled aluminium alloy and not plastic (still crazy, I know).
While the situation is frustrating, I'd relax a bit on WotC's response. During normal times, getting a replacement on a limited run luxury item from a company that doesn't do a lot of direct sales can take a while, and for things to take even longer during a pandemic is reasonable. Plus, we're in the holiday season as well. I'd be surprised if Mearls abandons you on this, he'll likely get you taken care of.

Still, asking your bank to reverse the charges is fair and probably a good move.

I wouldn't be down on yourself for making a "frivolous" purchase. You don't have to apologize or explain your purchase to any of us nerds here or even to yourself. It's certainly an extravagant purchase, but one that is reasonable if you have the funds and the item appeals. I imagine the purchase feels more frivolous now after receiving defective dice than when your wife decided to purchase them for you in the first place. That's a natural response, if unfair to yourselves.

I also wouldn't "lose faith" with WotC over this incident. Despite the high price and collectible status of these dice . . . defects happen. You're just the lucky one who got the defective dice. To feel frustrated, disappointed, and upset is reasonable, but temper that with a dose of reality. WotC hasn't failed to resolve the situation for you . . . yet. Give them some time.

To finish this up with a "long story short" - Wizards eventually sent me a replacement set along with a slightly damaged copy of the deluxe "Ghosts of Saltmarsh", even after I finally got in contact with someone again and repeatedly asked for a refund instead of them shipping somethig before they sent it out. Dice got to me after the new year, due to me being out of town. The new set was also defective, with the d20's milled with different font sizes and different colors of enamel on the numbering:

Mismatched Dice

I contacted Wizards again and got my money back this time with very little fuss. I ended up buying. A full set from Die Hard Dice instead (along with a tray), who passed along a lot 3 polymer sets, 3 loose metal dice and a dice bag (their order form has a spot asking how you heard of them or why you're buying, so I thought I'd share what happened with WotC -they included a note saying "give them our regards"). Since that only cost me about a third of what WotC was charging, I decided to spend the rest on a case from Eldrtich Arts and a pair of higher-end pocket knives I'd had my eye on for a while:

My Haul (polymer dice not shown)

So, in short - these dice aren't worth the hassle, and dealing directly with WotC is a pain.

Zardnaar

Legend
To finish this up with a "long story short" - Wizards eventually sent me a replacement set along with a slightly damaged copy of the deluxe "Ghosts of Saltmarsh", even after I finally got in contact with someone again and repeatedly asked for a refund instead of them shipping somethig before they sent it out. Dice got to me after the new year, due to me being out of town. The new set was also defective, with the d20's milled with different font sizes and different colors of enamel on the numbering:

Mismatched Dice

I contacted Wizards again and got my money back this time with very little fuss. I ended up buying. A full set from Die Hard Dice instead (along with a tray), who passed along a lot 3 polymer sets, 3 loose metal dice and a dice bag (their order form has a spot asking how you heard of them or why you're buying, so I thought I'd share what happened with WotC -they included a note saying "give them our regards"). Since that only cost me about a third of what WotC was charging, I decided to spend the rest on a case from Eldrtich Arts and a pair of higher-end pocket knives I'd had my eye on for a while:

My Haul (polymer dice not shown)

So, in short - these dice aren't worth the hassle, and dealing directly with WotC is a pain.

Ouch. Never really bought gimmick dice. I stick to the basics.

auburn2

Adventurer
A bit high for my tastes .... now if instead of aluminum dice they actually cut six grown saphires into Dice .... that I would buy for $299

auburn2

Adventurer
300$ for dices = overprice = swindling

Turning a blind eye isn't "failing to see". It is being complacent.
How? Because you can't afford them, or don't think it is wise to purchase so people who can and do are therefore being "swindled"? No one is forcing anyone to buy them, but I will bet there are a few people who will buy them and many of those people will never even roll them.

You know a Rolex Submariner watch will run you like $12k .... are those people being "swindled" because they can get a Timex for $20 that will keep time?

Remove ads

Remove ads