D&D 2E 2E Core Reprints Due in May

Papercut

First Post
Heyya papercut!

Inferior to the 2e original covers and revised covers ( have had two sets of both over the years). The WOTC MM binding/quality reminds me of the first print 3.0 core books. Paper thinner than the TSR prints as well. I would have preferred a TSR MM print, but I found the WOTC version for half the price and in like new condition compared to the used TSR prints.

Based on the WOTC 1e reprints, Id say their "premium" is on par with the old TSR stuff.

Thanks Jeff! I have been looking for information on these books for several months, noone on DF or Purpleworm seemed to have good information on them. Its good to have a direct source from someone who has handled them and knows the drill. Your observation about them being similar to 3e books is interesting. They are the 3e beta books!

The beautiful thing about the 2e core books is that they are stitched and can be repaired with PVA glue (Elmer's) very easily. A little library/linen tape securing the block to the cover also makes it very durable. A very thin bead of pva glue can also secure pages that might come loose.

The 1e orange spine books? A mess.

Papercut

First Post
Don't forget A1-4 is already available cheaply as the Hackmaster book Smackdown the Slavers. Yes it is a touch different, but pretty much the same. You can get it for ~$5 shipped from the usual places.

Stormonu

Legend
I hated the covers of my 2E books so much I wrapped them in Dragonskins. I really hope they do something fabulous with the covers - at least that of the 2E PHB; it seems so bland.

The 2E art swings the wildest. The line/blue-colored JEM art of the original 2E books makes me cringe, but the full-page images were pretty good. The black book art, though all in color as far as I remember, looked washed out and messy.

However, I think in the end I'd prefer the black book layout.

Papercut

First Post
Yeah, the art in the 2e core books is not always the strongest. It would be cool if they remixed the art (even between the 2 versions) to get a better product. Art from modules, MC's, or Dragon/Dungeon would be awesome. 2e greatest hits!

Unlike earlier edition fans, I don't think 2e enthusiasts have a nostalgic fetish for the art in the core books. If it is bad, we will openly admit it. The Tony D art in the MMs being the only exception- if they take his out there would be some blowback.

hayek

Explorer
Hallelujah!! This is awesome! So excited for 2E reprints! I was worried they might not reprint my favorite edition, but WOTC delivers!! Woot woot!!

JeffB

Legend
Thanks Jeff! I have been looking for information on these books for several months, noone on DF or Purpleworm seemed to have good information on them. Its good to have a direct source from someone who has handled them and knows the drill. Your observation about them being similar to 3e books is interesting. They are the 3e beta books!

The beautiful thing about the 2e core books is that they are stitched and can be repaired with PVA glue (Elmer's) very easily. A little library/linen tape securing the block to the cover also makes it very durable. A very thin bead of pva glue can also secure pages that might come loose.

The 1e orange spine books? A mess.

You are welcome!

And I am witchu on those orange spines!

Orius

Legend
The 2E art swings the wildest. The line/blue-colored JEM art of the original 2E books makes me cringe, but the full-page images were pretty good. The black book art, though all in color as far as I remember, looked washed out and messy.

However, I think in the end I'd prefer the black book layout.

I liked the general layout of the black books myself, and they did the redesign so that the books matched the look of the books in the Player's Option line. The full-color art in the original 2e PHB was mostly pretty good though.

Steely_Dan

First Post
I would prefer black & white for core D&D books (that 2nd Ed blue really put me off), colours cheapen (I guess ironically) the books for me.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I MUST have these!

WotC is rocking my world right now. (And if they reprint the BECM Rules Cyclopedia I will be overjoyed.) I hope we'll get other 2E reprints as well. I'd really like a new copy of Tome of Magic. :cool:

And I would SO buy Premium copies of the Monstrous Compendium Annuals.

Orius

Legend
I'd imagine if any other books in 2e past core get a reprint, Tome of Magic would probably be the first one. It's practically the 4th core book.

And I would cetainly like to see a reprint of the Basic RC myself.

Remove ads