• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[2WS] New Release -- Skill Focus: Talking, and now all books available at ENWorld

2WS-Steve

First Post
Second World Simulations pokes its head out into the dusty daylight to announce the first new book in... (well, perhaps best not to go into that) has been released.

I've been waiting until I had something new to join the ENWorld Gamestore, and here it is so here we are -- our ENWorld storefront is at this link.

The something new is Skill Focus: Talking.

SkillFocusTalking--CoverThumb.jpg

This smallish book (19 pages, not including OGL or title page) offers a new approach to handling roleplaying skills and encounters -- and should work in any d20 System based game, even most of the ones that no longer use the logo.

These rules take a different approach to interaction and roleplaying scenes in an effort to make it feel more like the character’s skills have a direct impact on the way the roleplaying of the scene plays out, without reducing the entire exchange to a die roll. The idea is to help the player be a better negotiator, by giving them special benefits based on their character’s skills.

The basic premise is that each of the major interaction skills, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive, offer a variety of special talking actions. While roleplaying out an encounter, the player can make a skill check for their character and, if it succeeds, gain some special benefit during the roleplaying of the encounter.

For example, if Talarn tells the leader of a barbarian tribe that Talarn’s group just took out the goblins in the nearby hills, then realizes that the barbarians were actually quite friendly with those goblins (perhaps by noticing all the weapons being drawn), then Talarn could use the Bluff skill’s Take Back action to make it as if Talarn had never said that.

I've been wanting to get these rules cleaned up for quite some time, since I think they're a good solution to making roleplaying depend on the character's abilities, while retaining the roleplaying.

As before, my books are still available at RPGNow -- including Skill Focus: Talking at RPGNow Edge! -- the staff of Second World Simulations loves all the original d20 sites.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Thanks folks! I've been wanting to get this stuff in publishable shape for a while since I think it's a pretty fun way to handle roleplaying scenes.

Well, that and I wanted to scarf up some money to buy Blood and Circuits, Blood and Time, and Blood and Secrets...

:D

So far the first one out of the way, but I did feel the pressure to defect to True Sorcery for one purchase -- sorry Chuck! The others are in my cart just waiting for my account to fill up.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Thanks Mark. And I went ahead and fixed the ogre/hill giant confusion in the example. I didn't send out a notification, since it was sort of small, but you should be able to sign into your account at EnWorld or RPGNow and get the update, if you like.

Also, It looks like the DNS change has propagated for the website move to our new host, still at

www.Second-World-Simulations.com

-- but now with lots of cool toys for the web designer, ones that appeal to my combined fascination with gadgets and laziness. Some links will likely be broken but I'll try to fix that stuff up.

One of the nicer bits is that I can easily host my own forums there for the rare person who wants to make a comment.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Byrons_Ghost said:
Now... when do we get the rest of the Warden classes? :p

Thanks -- and... er... actually, it was all part of my secret plan that if I just wait long enough someone else will do all my work for me:

I plan to put together a prestige class version of the Tone Warden that works off the Spellcaster from Green Ronin's True Sorcery, since that book is very in -- ah -- tune with the mechanics I had in mind.

I know Psion has a set of Pattern Warden rules for Elements of Magic, Revised. I'd also like to see the Spellweaving book that Steve Trustrum (sp??) is publishing this summer, since Pattern Wardens are a weaving sort of caster.

Since I'm not doing much for those, they'll be a free release, fully open under the OGL as usual, off the website -- and I'll format them so they can slip into a folder as an appendix for those who've gone the PDF route.

Psion

Adventurer
2WS-Steve said:
I know Psion has a set of Pattern Warden rules for Elements of Magic, Revised. I'd also like to see the Spellweaving book that Steve Trustrum (sp??) is publishing this summer, since Pattern Wardens are a weaving sort of caster.

Yeah, that was based on the freebie version of EOM that ENPub used to have online that has since seemed to disappear, adapted to be an advanced/prestige style of class using the techniques that the rune mage did in Bastion's Spells & Magic. It was an interesting class and I had a PC play one, but for first world PCs, their lack of levels always made them fall a bit short. I thought about making a talent tree that would compensate for this, but using the skill based system in EOM:ME might work as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads