• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.0] my Bard needs a level. What to do?

Emiricol

Okay, my bard (http://www.3edb.com/viewCharacter.asp?cid=860 is hitting level 5. Actually close to level 6, but the DM for that campaign doesn't give out XP until the end of an adventure.

Anyway, I'm torn between continuing in Bard, or whether to take one level in Fighter.

A level in Fighter would let me pick up Rapid Shot feat (I'd ditch the crossbow), a BAB bonus, and some nice proficiencies I would like to get, then at level 6 which is coming up, Point Blank Shot. It'd also let me use a lance.

But, the Bard level would let me pick up another level 1 spell and another level 2 spell, and likewise with spells castable per day, which would come in really handy, and I'd pick up Rapid Shot at level 6.

So, what do you think?

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
If you took the Fighter level, it would also increase your weakest save (Fort) by 2. Not sure if you care about Fort, but I figured I'd point it out. :)

Last edited:

I'd say go for it. Even better if you can find a PrC to take one level in, but the fighter level is worth it. Benefits include: Shield prof, a feat, weapon profs, a good Fort save, better hit dice. Worth it for a fighting Bard.

A better choice is Barbarian IMO though. You still get the Fort save and proficiencies, lose the feat, but get increased movement and Rage. The faster movement will save your bacon often and get you in position faster. Rage will give you combat capability equal to a Fighter, at least one combat a day. Take the Extra Rage feat and you can Rage 3xday. One level of Barb, wear Mithil shield and Mithril chain shirt, buff, sing, rage, kick ass!

Emiricol

Thanks all, but the DM was nice enough to give a hint of what was to come, so I took Bard and added (and nearly maxed) Bluff skill.

Remove ads