D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] +1 to caster level

Destil

Explorer
Is it ever stated specificaly within the revised rules that caster level bonuses do or do not increase the maximum limit of a spell for level-dependent functions?

I.E. +1 to caster level as a 10th level wizard using a fireball that deals 11d6 damage.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
If an 11th level wizard casts fireball, does he do 11d6 damage?

The answer to your question is, therefore....

Last edited:

Destil

Explorer
hong said:
If an 11th level wizard casts fireball, does he do 11d6 damage?

The answer to your question is, therefore....
Depends on the answer to my question, and her selection of feats (assuming there exists such a feat that increases caster level by +1 for all spells or a school or descriptor).

Destil "shame on hong for nor endorsing the iconic gender-specific pronouns" Shadesk

hong

WotC's bitch
Destil said:
Depends on the answer to my question, and her selection of feats (assuming there exists such a feat that increases caster level by +1 for all spells or a school or descriptor).

I repeat: if an 11th level wizard casts fireball, does he do 11d6 damage?

The answer to your question is therefore....

Li Shenron

Legend
Destil said:
Is it ever stated specificaly within the revised rules that caster level bonuses do or do not increase the maximum limit of a spell for level-dependent functions?

I.E. +1 to caster level as a 10th level wizard using a fireball that deals 11d6 damage.

I don't think it is specifically stated in 3.5 nor in 3.0, but when the spell description sets a cap to damage or HD of possible targets, or anything else, it is still a max value. If Fireball does 1d6/level and caps at 10d6, that's the damage done by anyone with caster level 11+; for example, if you were a 15th level Wizard, you would do 10d6, clearly if you were instead 14th level but had +1 caster level from a special feature, you would be effectively 15th and still do 10d6 :)

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: [3.5] +1 to caster level

Li Shenron said:

I don't think it is specifically stated in 3.5 nor in 3.0, but when the spell description sets a cap to damage or HD of possible targets, or anything else, it is still a max value. If Fireball does 1d6/level and caps at 10d6, that's the damage done by anyone with caster level 11+; for example, if you were a 15th level Wizard, you would do 10d6, clearly if you were instead 14th level but had +1 caster level from a special feature, you would be effectively 15th and still do 10d6 :)

What he said.

... hang on, that's not right. YOU'RE supposed to say "what he said", not ME, dangit!

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Re: Re: [3.5] +1 to caster level

Li Shenron said:

Yeppers. Li Shenron has it right.

Remove ads