D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Animal Companions: Animals or Magical Beasts?

Waldo

First Post
Wild Shape (Su): ... This ability functions like the polymorph spell, except as noted here... She also gains the elemental’s feats for as long as she maintains the wild shape, but she retains her own creature type

You're right. I misread this as saying 'she retains her own creature type' during wild shape, but missed the part about that applying to the elemental wild shaping only.

Oops.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Well, the druid can cast spells that affect animals on his companion, even if it is a magical beast, as long as the druid is wildshaped into an animal, casts the spell on himself, and shares it with his companion.

Hmm. I notice they've changed Share Spells.

Tome and Blood stated that you could Share spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities you cast upon yourself. It also allowed you to share spells you cast from an item on yourself.

3.5 explicitly disallows SLAs, which implies that Su abilities are gone as well. I don't know about items.

That sucks. No more Sharing Divine Might with your mount :(

I just hope they've changed the awful, awful bit from Tome and Blood where you can't Share Cure spells or ability buffs, but you can share bonuses to attack rolls etc. That was just bizarre.

-Hyp.

Share spells is almost useless. It's great if you're casting healing magic (can you double-heal your companion this way?) but you can't Barkskin or Endurance on your companion and yourself unless you're planning to fight literally side-by-side.

youspoonybard

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Share spells is almost useless. It's great if you're casting healing magic (can you double-heal your companion this way?) but you can't Barkskin or Endurance on your companion and yourself unless you're planning to fight literally side-by-side.

Or, do as I have done and use your Animal Companion as a mount :p.

youspoonybard

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Hmm. I notice they've changed Share Spells.

Tome and Blood stated that you could Share spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities you cast upon yourself. It also allowed you to share spells you cast from an item on yourself.

3.5 explicitly disallows SLAs, which implies that Su abilities are gone as well. I don't know about items.

That sucks. No more Sharing Divine Might with your mount :(

I just hope they've changed the awful, awful bit from Tome and Blood where you can't Share Cure spells or ability buffs, but you can share bonuses to attack rolls etc. That was just bizarre.

-Hyp.

Andy Collins said that you could use it to share cure spells with your Animal Companion, as a specific example.

Which means, that if you stand next to your companion, you could use a mass cure x wounds to cure the companion twice (normal, shared).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Andy Collins said that you could use it to share cure spells with your Animal Companion, as a specific example.

Good. T&B's rules were ridiculous and inconsistent.

With those, you chose either yourself or your familiar/mount as the primary recipient, and the secondary recipient only got any points of curing that were "left over".

So if I were down 5 points, and my familiar was down 7 points, I could cast a CLW on myself. If I roll a 9, then I get 5 points, and my familiar gets the overflow - 4 points.

And Bull's Strength couldn't be shared at all, because "master and familiar both have their own ability scores".

!?

-Hyp.

Remove ads