D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Animal Companions: Animals or Magical Beasts?

Waldo

First Post
I like that animal companions progress with class level now. That's good. But I have an issue or two.

So I know there's some potential errata out there talking about the discrepancies in the books about animal companion type. Some places say it's a magical beast[augmented animal], other say it's an animal.

First, I feel that all of the companions abilities can be reached with non-magical means, except maybe share spells, which could be considered an ability of the Druid/Ranger. I'm not sure that making a companion a magical beast is a logical, or even desirable choice.

Pro: Enemies can't use spells that affect animals
Con: You can't use spells that affect animals!

So the ranger in my campaign can't cast Speak with Animals and talk to his wolf anymore? A druid can't Reduce or Animal Growth on his/her companion? If this is the case they should at least allow an empathic link similar to that granted to paladin mounts and familiars. It'd be nice to communicate with them every once in a while in ways beyond, "Come" and "Sic 'em, boy!"

There are 2 spots in the 3.5 rules that say they're animals, and one spot that says they're a magical beast. Andy Collins said (pre-release) that they would be animals (so that awakening one would cause them to no longer be animal companions.

So I'm going with animal and assuming the "magical beast" bit was a cut-and-paste error from the familiars section.

I've emailed the Sage, and got a wishy-washy non-answer, that basically said they've got to look at it and wait for clarification to be published in Sage Advice.

Dave G

First Post
What happens if you're high enough level to have an advanced animal companion, and you have to release them. When you summon one again, does it get immediately buffed due to your level?

CrimsonTemplar

First Post
That'd be my take on it. As you advance in level as a Druid you're initiated into the higher mysteries. One of those mysteries is a means to imbue your animal companions with the power of nature so that they are better suited to aid you. The nice thing is that you only need 24 hours to do so, regardless of how highly initiated you are.

youspoonybard

First Post
I'm going with "The animal companion is treated as a magical beast for the purposes of effects that depend on type; however, the special bond between the Master and the Animal Companion allow the master to treat the Animal Companion's type as Animal for the purposes of effects that depend on type."

Waldo

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
There are 2 spots in the 3.5 rules that say they're animals, and one spot that says they're a magical beast. Andy Collins said (pre-release) that they would be animals (so that awakening one would cause them to no longer be animal companions.

There's more than one spot that says magical beast. At a quick glance I also notice:
DMG P116 Crocodile Animal Companion: CR -; Medium magical beast

And awaken's text says specifically that awakened animals can't be familiars, animal companions or paladin mounts.

It wasn't a mistype, I'm sure of that. I just don't know what the final decision will or should be.

I'm going with "The animal companion is treated as a magical beast for the purposes of effects that depend on type; however, the special bond between the Master and the Animal Companion allow the master to treat the Animal Companion's type as Animal for the purposes of effects that depend on type."

I like that. I'll go with that until something gets clarified.

Number47

First Post
Well, the druid can cast spells that affect animals on his companion, even if it is a magical beast, as long as the druid is wildshaped into an animal, casts the spell on himself, and shares it with his companion.

Waldo

First Post
Number47 said:
Well, the druid can cast spells that affect animals on his companion, even if it is a magical beast, as long as the druid is wildshaped into an animal, casts the spell on himself, and shares it with his companion.

A druid retains his/her own creature type while using wild shape.
She cannot cast spells that affect animals on herself.

Remove ads