• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5] Answering the Call

Rhun

First Post
"Blast away, my friend. And don't be stingy with the blasting either!" Orinar smiles at Menno, knowing his friend would do everything he could to ensure a favorable outcome for the companions.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Trial by Combat

Tiax comes round just after everyone else. "So are we ready to go?"

"We are ready," says Curate Anselm as he walks toward the inner gatehouse. Two clerics of Heironeous follow him.

Korax and company saunter into view as well, laughing and talking quietly among themselves.

"Looks like you're missing someone," says one of the humans as he draws near.

Indeed, he is correct, for Kyl has not shown. Curate Anselm explains that the trial must continue as scheduled, and speculates that it would appear as if Kyl has had second thoughts.

Soldiers stand aside to allow Curate Anselm to lead the two groups through the formidable inner gatehouse. This stone structure is itself like a small fort. Its rear portion stands at least 30 feet high. The heavy gates are doubleboud with iron and spiked. Murder holes overhead denote the presence of more guards than just the six that can be seen.

The inner bailey is a grass-covered yard more than 100-foot square. Cavalry stables occupy the northeastern corner. The keep fortress, with its 60-foot-high towers and thick stone walls, stands across the inner bailey opposite the inner gatehouse.

Near the center of the inner bailey a square has been marked off by wooden posts and ropes. The Curate explains that the trial will take place within the square. He and his clerics will be on-hand to stave off death. A viewing platform has been set up farther away. A older man sits on a bench there. He wears platemail and his tabard shows the sign of Borderland Keep: a green shield with a yellow diamond in the center. Several soldiers in platemail stand guard near him.

Curate Anselm's clerics show the opposing sides to the respective starting positions. The Curate raises his staff, and then strikes the earth.

"Begin!" he commands.

[sblock=OOC]
The battle map is here.

Post initiative checks and first round actions, please.

BTW, I'm going to Galveston for the weekend starting this Friday, and I'm not planning to bring the computer with me.
[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Orinar flexes his might thews and shrugs his mighty shoulders as he holds his massive blade easily in hand...

AC: 15, Hit Points: 29/19

Initiative: 08

Seeing as how Orinar will probably go low in the initiative order, I'm going to wait to post to see where everyone is at.

- Power Points: 2 of 5 remaining -

Psionic Powers in Effect (This assumes they were activate in the seconds right before combat started)
Force Screen (+4 AC), round 2 of 20
Vigor (+10 hit points), round 3 of 20

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Such waste of natural 20!

Init (1d20+2=22)

OOC: If we get to prepare, Menno cast Shield from scroll when curate came forward (fully expecting the match to start)...

Menno raises his crossbow and seems like he's targeting the caster (elf) with the bolt. Slight twinge and fiery bolt streaks across the field striking with unerring accuracy blossoming into bright ball of flame.
Fire burst (2d6=11)

OOC: Whoohoo. IC loves me today :)
OOC2: hellrazor, you forgot sneak attack damage, if you go before your target.
OOC3: Mark, would you confirm we received 281gp each (Kyl is accounted for) so we can write the loot down...and we still have items to sell...

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Lars Crichton

Once the Curate declares the trial's start, Lars charges straight at the nearest human enemy on Korax's team, brandishing his battleaxe. "Heironeous smite thee, sinner!" Lars swings his battleaxe deftly and solidly into the human's shoulder, silver eyes shining for a moment with holy fervor.

[sblock=ooc]AC 15 (+1 Dex, +2 BAB, +2 Shield), HP 22 / 22, Nonlethal 0
Armored Nonlethal Damage Conversion 5, Speed 20 ft.
Outsider, Acid Resistance 5, Cold Resistance 5, Electricity Resistance 5

Initiative: 17
1d20+1=17

Charging cold iron battleaxe with Smite Evil, since Lars detected earlier that the humans on Korax's team are evil, ending 1 space diagonally from H-1 and HE, since that's as far as I can charge. A good attack roll but mediocre damage roll, dangit. Shoulda saved my smite.
Attack: 24, Damage: 8
1d20+10=24, 1d8+4=8 [/sblock]

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
OOC: Mark, just let me know when it gets down to Orinar's initiative count...I'm assuming the battlefield will change quite a bit by then. :)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Lars charges straight at the nearest human enemy on Korax's team, brandishing his battleaxe.

And here goes any chance at decent tactics on our part. Now we're saving Lars from being surrounded and killed...our only combat healer :(

Arkhandus

First Post
OOC: What, you think it would've been better tactics to hang back and let them charge Menno and Tiax, as the obvious weak links in our party, the easiest targets to take down? For Lars to waste time on a javelin that was far less likely to hit and less likely to deal decent damage? If enemies try surrounding Lars, it just gives Orinar and Tiax the opportunity to flank and beat down one or two enemies. Only 2 enemies are even in melee reach of Lars at the moment.

Mark, what does it look like each of the enemies is wearing and wielding? Armor, weapons, any signs of holy/unholy symbols or magic wands?

Remove ads