[3.5] Answering the Call

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
OOC: Sorry. I'm still here. I meant to get the game updated last night, but we ended up going to a school choir concert. I've got a dinner tonight, but I should be able to get things back on track after that.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Trial by Combat (Round 3)

The cleric addressed by Curate Anselm hustles around the outside of the square to get to where he can reach the downed elf. The other human in Korax's party moves out of the cleric's way.

"Lars, move away from them!" calls Menno.

Tiax rushes forward, shortbow in hand, drawing and nocking an arrow, which he lets fly at the half-elf. Unfortunately, he stumbles a bit on a loose stone, spoiling his aim. The arrow goes high and long, landing well away from Tiax's target.

Lars sidesteps the half-elf's attack and steels his mind against the evil human's threat. He glares at the human as he steps away just enough for the half-elf to stop threatening his backside for a moment, while he hefts the cold iron axe in his right hand and brings it down again with significant force on the human's left shoulder this time!

"Forget it, knave. Heironeous willing, I won't have to bear your evil stench much longer and you'll meet your just end," the silver-eyed, platinum-haired man says with cold seriousness. Lightening up for just a second, he adds with a short smirk before returning to seriousness, "Then I'll have myself a beer so I can forget your ugly mug."

Lars's weapon strikes true, bruising flesh and drawing more blood. The human's smug look fades to hateful seriousness, but despite his injuries he looks ready to fight on.

Menno steps forward and spits out another bolt of fire at the closes enemy carefuly aiming it not to envelop Lars.

The explosion of fire engulfs the half-elf and the human, and both appear to take the full force of the magical attack. The human in particular shows the strain of his cumulative injuries. He shifts his position, thrusting with his short sword, but the attack is clumsy, ill-timed. The blade glances off a thicker part of Lars's armor, leaving the paladin unscathed.

"Justice is at hand, dwarf," says Orinar, again striking hard and fast at this dangerous opponent.

Orinar's powerful blow rocks the sturdy dwarf, almost dropping him to one knee and noticeably loosening his grip on his dwarven waraxe. The dwarf bellows in pain and anger, stumbling into something like a defensive position as Orinar retreats a few feet. Korax, however, refuses to follow. Instead, he holds forth his axe, which thrums with power as the dwarf chants in his native tongue. Orinar's weapon starts to shake in his grip.

The half-elf leaps into a forward somersault, spring up adjacent to Lars. The half-elfs acrobatic attack and twisting thrust catch Lars off-guard in a weak spot of his armor. The blade bites deep, tearing muscle and scraping ribs.

OOC: End of the round. Next actions, please!

[sblock=Orinar]
Will save vs. DC 15 against shatter cast your greatsword. Failure means the weapon is destroyed.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Combat Box]
Initiative Order: Tiax (17), Lars (17), Menno (16), Human (10), Orinar (8), Korax (8), Half-Elf (7)
Lars: 10 lethal, 5 nonlethal.
Orinar: 3 lethal, 6 nonlethal.
Tiax: uninjured.
Menno: uninjured.
Korax: 23 lethal, 10 nonlethal.
Half-Elf: 6 lethal.
Elf: KO; 11 lethal.
Human: 17 lethal, 8 nonlethal.
Updated Map
[/sblock]
[sblock=Dice Rolls]
Tiax's Attack: 1d20+6=8, 1d6-1=5
Half-Elf & Human Ref SVs: 1d20+5=7, 1d20+6=9
Human vs. Lars: 1d20+3=9, 1d6+1=2
Tumble: 1d20+8=27
Half-Elf vs. Lars: 1d20+4=24, 1d8+1=6, 1d6=2
Half-Elf Crit Check: 1d20+4=17, 1d8+1=7
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Orinar focuses his will and grasps his blade tightly, keeping it from falling victim to whatever dreadful fate the dwarf had planned for it. This Korax was a tricky foe, and the half-giant knew that he must be dealt with. With a bellowing warcry, the Giantsblood steps back into the melee, and slashes his blade down at Korax with fearsome might!

AC: 15, Hit Points: 20/19

Initiative: 08

Will Save vrs DC15 Shatter: 21 (Success)

5' step back to melee range, attack Korax
Greatsword vrs Korax: 23
Damage 17

- Power Points: 2 of 5 remaining -

Psionic Powers in Effect (This assumes they were activate in the seconds right before combat started)
Force Screen (+4 AC), round 4 of 20
Vigor (+10 hit points), round 5 of 20

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Waiting for Lars, wanted to drop grease, but he's in the area. Since Orinar keeps the weapon, no greasing for Korax.

Notice: heading out for 'team building' event for the weekend. Won't post again before sunday evening or even monday morning.

Arkhandus

First Post
Lars grits his teeth and groans in pain as the half-elf finds a weakpoint in his armor, badly wounding him between armor plates! The paladin staggers away for a moment, turning slightly to face the half-elf a little better, but keeps an eye on his human target.

Then he mutters "Lucky shot. Do not expect another. Heironous, lend me the vigor to finish this tainted man and his half-elven lackey." He touches both fists to his forehead for a just a moment, channeling Heironeous' blessings to mend the internal injury and leave only the bleeding surface-wound. Then the silver-eyed holy warrior resumes his fighting stance.

[sblock=ooc]Apologies for the delay, was busy around Christmas week and a week or so afterward.

Lars takes a 5-foot step to the left, getting out of the half-elf's melee reach but still threatening the evil human, and briefly touches his forehead with both fists, channeling 6 points of his Lay on Hands ability to heal 6 lethal and the 5 nonlethal damage as magical healing. As a supernatural ability it shouldn't provoke AoOs. Then resumes his previous posture with the axe and shield.

HP 18 / 22, Nonlethal 0, Armored Nonlethal Conversion 5
AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 12, Speed 20 ft.
Outsider, Acid Resistance 5, Cold Resistance 5, Electricity Resistance 5
Lay on Hands 0/6 points remaining

For reference, Lars only speaks Common and Celestial.[/sblock]

Neurotic

"Oh, how nice of you to stand so close."

With Lars out of the area, Menno steps closer and (surprising even himself by his bloodthirstiness) fires fire bolt instead of grease.

"It would prolong the fight and they may not even fall...I'll grease Korax weapon next..." hr tries to persuade self.

Fires from inside belly his denial as white hot conflagration erupts around his opponents.

Fire bolt (2d6=11) Ref

OOC: urk! I hope they don't actualy die :(

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Treachery! (Round 4)

The cleric drags the elf out of the ring and tends to his wounds. The other human watches, his attention divided between the fight and the cleric's ministrations.

Tiax moves forward 20ft and looses an arrow at the human.

Now at point blank range, Tiax's full skill with the bow comes to bear against his target. The clothyard shaft flies straight and true, finding a weak spot in the human's armor. He staggers back a bit from the impact of the projectile as his eyes roll back in their sockets. His eyelids flutter; his knees buckle. The human collapses to the ground.

Lars grits his teeth and groans in pain as the half-elf finds a weakpoint in his armor, badly wounding him between armor plates! The paladin staggers away for a moment, turning slightly to face the half-elf a little better, but keeps an eye on his human target.

Then he mutters "Lucky shot. Do not expect another. Heironous, lend me the vigor to finish this tainted man and his half-elven lackey." He touches both fists to his forehead for a just a moment, channeling Heironeous' blessings to mend the internal injury and leave only the bleeding surface-wound. Then the silver-eyed holy warrior resumes his fighting stance.

"Oh, how nice of you to stand so close."

With Lars out of the area, Menno steps closer and (surprising even himself by his bloodthirstiness) fires fire bolt instead of grease.

"It would prolong the fight and they may not even fall...I'll grease Korax weapon next..."

Fires from inside belly his denial as white hot conflagration erupts around his opponents.

The blast of flame catches the human full-force as he hits the ground. The half-elf, however, whirls his cloak and hunkers down, evading the brunt of the blast.

Orinar focuses his will and grasps his blade tightly, keeping it from falling victim to whatever dreadful fate the dwarf had planned for it. This Korax was a tricky foe, and the half-giant knew that he must be dealt with. With a bellowing warcry, the Giantsblood steps back into the melee, and slashes his blade down at Korax with fearsome might!

Korax falls next as Orinar's powerful blade sweeps him to the ground in a bloody heap!

The half-elf looks at charred and bloody human, at Korax's prone form, and the grins at Lars. "Well," he says, "I guess that's that." The half-elf sheaths his weapon with a flourish.

From outside the field of battle comes a blood-curdling cry of rage. All eyes turn to the human who sat out the battle. His form shimmers and shifts, melting from humanoid into hawk, and then takes wing skyward. The cleric of Heironeous tending the fallen elf says unnecessarily, "Ye gods! He's a shapechanger!"

OOC: End of round 3. Next actions, please! The "hawk" will be well out of range by the end of round 4, and is only vulnerable to ranged attacks at the moment.

[sblock=Combat Box]
Initiative Order: Tiax (17), Lars (17), Menno (16), Human (10), Orinar (8), Korax (8), Half-Elf (7)
Lars: 4 lethal.
Orinar: 3 lethal, 6 nonlethal.
Tiax: uninjured.
Menno: uninjured.
Korax: KO?; 35 lethal, 15 nonlethal.
Half-Elf: 7 lethal.
Elf: KO; 11 lethal.
Human: KO?; 30 lethal, 12 nonlethal.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Dice Rolls]
Tiax's Attack: 1d20+7=26, 1d6=6
Half-Elf & Human Ref SVs: 1d20+5=13, 1d20+6=9
[/sblock]

Neurotic

OOC: Can I revise the action? Menno wouldn't target fallen opponent and he would see human fall to Tiax attack. I'd simply burn the other one? I realize it might need little bit of retcon...

Remove ads