[3.5] Answering the Call

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Branden of Alt Wald, cleric of Pelor

the young freckled man walks the road at a slower pace then a normal traveler as he has a bit of a load on his sholders, but he none thee less trudges on. He has traveled roads for sometime as he would with his priestess mother, so wearieness is not the issue, though the memory of a good dark lager on his lips does cause him to be motivated to move a step or two more lively!

He stops for a moment to gaze on the castle and to spit out the road dust in his mouth. He then takes a drink of water to clear out his voice, should he need to speak, and being a priest, speaking is always going to happen. In fact the only one who speaks more the clerics is bards and they just...never mind, he just needs to get to the gate...

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Chuckles drift down from the wall in response to Menno's bravado about killing, but it doesn't seem as if the light laughter mocks.

"Hold your horses," says the guard. "Who're you?"

Coming up the path behind Orinar and Menno is another traveler, this one a young freckled man. He introduces himself as "Branden of Alt Wald" and states he too has answered the call for adventurers.

"Very good, then," the guard atop the replies. He raises his halberd and raps the butt-end against the wall. Curiously, the sound is an unstone-like thunk! thunk! accompanied by the jangle of chimes. "Open the gate!"

The gate scrapes open. Two guards -- on on each side -- stand ready. One winks at the adventurers as they enter.

"Good luck to ya," he says.

On the other side of the gate is an entry yard. The animal smells of the stable hang thick in the air. Not too far to the right, the stable doors stand open. A few boys -- dirty and one holding a filthy rake -- gawk at the adventurers.

A guard dressed in platemail and carrying a shield approaches the adventurers. A longsword and dagger are at his waist. The guard's tunic device identifies him as a watch corporal. With him is a man in the brown and white robes of the Guild of Scribes. In his ink-stained fingers, he holds a quill, a bottle of ink, and a book into which he busily scribbles, exhibiting remarkable skill as he balances all of his accessories at the same time he writes.

"I'm Mitch, Corporal of the Day Watch," the soldier growls. "This here scribbler's noting your names and arrival date. Any time you go, you sign out. If you come back, and you ain't signed out, you ain't getting back in. Vice versa applies. Your access is limited to the outer bailey. Cause any trouble, and you'll end up in the stocks...or worse."

He pauses for a bit to spit on the dusty ground.

"You! Boy!" One of the stable boys starts at the barked words. "Take these men to the traveler's inn!"

The boy -- a slight youth of no more than fourteen -- nods and races forward. "This way, sirs," he says.

He leads the adventurers south along the 20-foot-wide entry yard that hugs the outer wall. At the southeast tower, the yard bends to the west. In addition to the stable, the adventurers pass a warehouse, a fortified building the youth identifies as belonging to the bailiff, several private residences along the south wall, a buildings bearing the signs of a money lender, a provisioner, and a trader, and finally to a fountain square against the southwest wall. Curious people, most of them civilians, stop and stare at the adventurers for a bit before resuming their business.

The fountain is large, of carved stone resembling frolicking water nymphs. Water gushes from the top and trickles musically to the basin. The square is somewhat large and irregularly shaped, about 50 feet wide west to east and about 60 feet long at its longest point north to south.

"That there's the traveler's inn," the boys says. "Next to it is the tavern."

[sblock=OOC]We'll pause here for reactions, questions, conversation.[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Orinar smiles and nods greeting to the other adventure, Brandon of Alt Wald. "Greetings, friend," he says amiably, looking down upon the (much) smaller man. "I am Orinar, and my companion is Menno."

---

Later, as they make their way through the outer bailey, the half-giant takes in the sights, noting each place of business for future reference, should they have need of it. "It is like they built the village inside of the castle. Not too strange, I guess, given the dangers we've heard of in the area."

As they stop before the Travellers Inn, Orinar tosses the boy a copper coin. "Thank you, young one."

Runewind

First Post
"Oh, fun...stocks." Menno speaks under his breath.

---

Menno takes a moment to marvel at the large fountain; he looks at each of the carved nymphs, enjoying the beauty of both the sculpture and nature of the creatures themselves. After a moment of marveling at the fountain Menno looks about the square noticing the curiosity in the eyes of the people around him. Ignoring the curious looks Menno takes the time to fill his waterskin and take a sip of the fountain's water before catching back up with the group being led by the youth.

---

"Great! An inn" Menno says excitedly. "You'll be a little more interested in the tavern right, Orinar?" He jokes. "I might join you though I'm not much of a drinker."

Scott DeWar

At the sight of the In Branden speaks up, " Ach! Das Ale Haus! Ist all goot now! " then looking to the lad he asks him in his thick accent, " Vere vee meet das uber Meister? Das Ale Haus?" he ends his question thumbing to the tavern. His other hand is digging for a couple of coppers for the guide.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
[sblock=OOC]Sorry for the inexcusable hold up. Rayex, you're the lonely halfling.[/sblock]

The boy-guide takes the offered coins. "Thanks!" he says with genuine gratitude, and then he runs off back toward the main gate.

The general mood seeming in favor of the "Ale Haus!", the three adventurers head toward the tavern. The wooden sign out front depicts a goblin's head with an arrow through its skull from ear to ear. In Common under the chin are the words, "The Pierced Goblin".

The tavern itself is a largish structure. The facade -- painted with cheerful colors -- is about fifty feet wide west to east. It abuts the west wall on its left and the inn on its right. The building has a small second story on the eastern 20 feet of the structure.

As Menno, Branden, and Orinar reach the door, they can hear raucous laughter and someone playing a spirited tune on a harpsichord. Inside, the adventurers see a single, large room about twenty feet deep north to south. A trapdoor in the northeastern corner of the floor is open. A serving wench -- a stout, functional girl of about 20 years -- emerges from the basement, a tray of tankards expertly balanced on one hand.

Two rows of wooden columns support the peaked ceiling, which is cross-braced by rafters. The interior is brightly lit by several oil lamps. Various hunting trophies, including the head of a rather large wolf, adorn the walls. Examples of weapons attached to plaques are also present. There is a stage against the far west wall. A gnome sits on a high stool, playing the harpsichord with more gusto than skill, but it's obvious he's enjoying himself.

There are no soldiers present. One large table seats five armed and armored individuals, perhaps another adventuring party. At the head of this table is a dwarf in chain mail. His tabard is made of fine cloth and sports a coat-of-arms in gold, green, and sable. Its device is a bear rampant. With him are a half-elf woman in comfortable traveling attire, twin human men in studded leather and dark green cloaks, and a willowy, androgynous elf in robes and a beret. Assorted weapons lay on the table or on the floor close at hand. These patrons acknowledge the adventurers arrival with little more than a glance that hardly interrupts their boisterous conversation.

Another table is occupied by a single individual, a halfling.

In the center of the far eastern wall are steep stairs leading up to the second story.

A lad of about sixteen approaches the adventurers. "I'm Piotr, tavernkeeper's son," he introduces himself. "Have a seat, please. We've ale for a silver a pint, and fresh bread, a copper a slice. Hot pies are a silver." He glances up at Orinar. "An entire roast fowl is a steal at a single gold."

Scott DeWar

" Fiend, I wish for ale, a meat pie and a loaf of bread. Keep the ale flowing to me if you please." he hands him a gold.

Looking about he sees the lone halfling and ponders, " ist not good for halflings to drink alone. Das table zere, Ja?" he directs his question to the other two.

Runewind

First Post
As they enter and take in the atmosphere of the tavern Menno cannot help but release a small, quiet chuckle at the harpsichord playing gnome.

--

"I'll have what he's having, but could you cook my bread a little longer?" replied Menno while digging through his clothing for the necessary coin.

--

"I'm not entirely opposed to sitting there...what about you, Orinar?"

Scott DeWar

While Mennor and Orinar talk, Branden will walk to the lone halfling and gesture to the empty seats while asking, "Goot sir, ve vish to eat und drink und vith you sit here please?

Rhun

First Post
"Ale, and meat pies," says Orinar to the boy. He looks at Menno and shrugs. "I need to save what little gold I have until we find ourselves a job that pays well."

Unlike Branden, Orinar doesn't have the manners to ask to sit down. He simply plops down on a chair at the halfling's table, the furniture groaning ponderously under his bulk, and smiles. "Greetings, small one. I am Orinar."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases