D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Bane +1

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Just what the topic says: In 3.5, Bane is a +1 enhancement for weapons. As such, I think it's up there with the energy enhancements as one that gives good bang for the buck. I expect to see quite a few +1 undead bane, construct bane adamantine morning stars as backup weapons.

What do others think of this change?

coyote6

Adventurer
I think I like it too.

It does make holy/unholy/anarchic/axiomatic look a little weak, though; they're +2 equivalent, but only give +2d6 damage & count as "aligned" weapons. Granted, you'll meet more evil creatures than, say, Undead or Outsiders (Evil), but is the extra commonality worth the +2 enhancement to attack & damage rolls and an increased price?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
coyote6, an aligned weapon will let you penetrate DR on creatures it affects, while a bane weapon will not. Also, the ability will come into play more often; a bonus affecting all evil creatures is more valuable than one affecting only evil outsiders, for example.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Unholy/holy/anarchic/axiomatic weapons...

Heck, if it's a +4 weapon to begin with (or made +4 via greater magic weapon), the additional +2 to enhancement bonus enables you to pierce even epic DR.

E.g., the solar has DR 15/epic and evil. So a +4 unholy spiked chain would pierce it. :eek:

I definatly like this...mainly because I love the Bane enhancement. My players have learned to loathe it though...my campaign has lots of Elves...so, lots of Orcs with Elf Bane weapons. :D

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Re: Unholy/holy/anarchic/axiomatic weapons...

Darkness said:
Heck, if it's a +4 weapon to begin with (or made +4 via greater magic weapon), the additional +2 to enhancement bonus enables you to pierce even epic DR.

E.g., the solar has DR 15/epic and evil. So a +4 unholy spiked chain would pierce it. :eek:
Only the actual enhancement bonus counts, so the +4 unholy spiked chain would not penetrate epic DR. You would need a +6 unholy spiked chain.

Waldo

First Post
Only the actual enhancement bonus counts, so the +4 unholy spiked chain would not penetrate epic DR. You would need a +6 unholy spiked chain.

Granted that I don't own the epic handbook, nor have I read it extensively:

I've never seen rules that allow weapons beyond +5 'actual' enchancement, so I would tend to agree with the first argument.

Am I wrong? Can someone post some rules for +6 weapons?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Am I wrong? Can someone post some rules for +6 weapons?

Pre-epic? There's debate about the Divine Shield feat.

He didn't actually mean a +4 Unholy chain, he meant a +4 Outsiders, Good Bane Chain.

Against Good Outsiders, it's treated as having an effective enhancement bonus two higher than it possesses - in this case, +6.

The requirement for defeating Epic DR is an enhancement bonus of +6, so it qualifies.

-Hyp.

rhammer2

First Post
This is still not epic. To be epic it must be crafted by a 20+ level caster with the craft epic weapon feat and therefore has a market price of over 200k gp.

+6 epic weapon = 6^2*20000 = 720k gp

Hypersmurf said:

Pre-epic? There's debate about the Divine Shield feat.

He didn't actually mean a +4 Unholy chain, he meant a +4 Outsiders, Good Bane Chain.

Against Good Outsiders, it's treated as having an effective enhancement bonus two higher than it possesses - in this case, +6.

The requirement for defeating Epic DR is an enhancement bonus of +6, so it qualifies.

-Hyp.

Remove ads