• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Barbarian Character Helps and Suggestions

What about something like Fist of the Forest from Complete Champion? It would fit in with a more native dwelling barbarian that's attuned to nature spirits. And you get to beat the BBEG to a pulp with your fists. ;) Bear Warrior could also work for a nature themed barbarian. Primeval (FB) could work too but I think its a little too far away from what you're looking for.

To improve or enhance your rage abilities, there are a few options. Extend Rage, Extra Rage, Intimidating Rage, all from CW, spring to mind. You could also take Improved Resilience (CW) to up your DR but spending a feat for only +1 to your DR seems a bit much.

If you go for Fist of the Forest, you'll want Improved Natural Attack because your fists are just that awesome. Elusive Target and Defensive Throw work well for a FotF but require extensive feat investment and you may not wind up getting them until very high in level.

Otherwise, Power Attack & Leap Attack are fun feats. And I also recommend the mage slayer tree.

Player2

First Post
oooh, bear warrior sounds kinda interesting, I think I remember running my eyes over it a while ago. Gotta check that Fist of the Forest thing, though, from tha sound of it, it seems more aimed at monks, no?

oooh, bear warrior sounds kinda interesting, I think I remember running my eyes over it a while ago. Gotta check that Fist of the Forest thing, though, from tha sound of it, it seems more aimed at monks, no?

Fist of the Forest is a way to make your barbarian more monk like but you don't need to be a monk to take the class. Combine with Frostrager (FB) for even more fisticuffs fun!

nijineko

Explorer
should be especially fun if i limit the raging to after the character has hefted a few. maybe if i swing frenzy on top of that. "guess he had a few too many..."

Player2

First Post
those are amazing ideas xD I'll definitely check them out, I'm seriously getting hyped about this barbarian lol. Thanks!

nijineko

Explorer
i recall one particular player of mine he was playing a gnome barbarian bear warrior and a half-orc monk. tall and short. quite a comic duo. my personal favorite of their antics was the nod to colossus and wolverine... the cannon-bear. ^^ he'd chuck the gnome at some bad guys, the gnome would then rage mid-toss and then go all big and hairy on the poor hapless enemies rear. or just land on top of them.

Since you're making Rage one of the central themes, you should probably look at which Rage might fit your wanted theme better.

Ferocity is more about being animalistic and predatory than angry and tough like the standard Rage. Whirling Frenzy is pretty much a pure adrenaline rush.

Keep in mind items, feats, etc assume standard Rage, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem to refluff things a bit if you choose one of the variants. For example, the feat Reckless Rage isn't truly applicable to Ferocity or WF, but it wouldn't take much to refluff so that it works. Likewise, Ettercap Berserker, if it's allowed due to the origin, would need to be reworked somewhat or else you're essentially getting +6 Con for free while raging.

Edit: You may wish to look at Alternate Class Features for more ways to customize your barbarian.

Last edited:

Player2

First Post
Jackinthegreen: Whirling Frenzy looks pretty interesting to be honest, didn't even think of that option. Though Ferocity also looks amazing, gotta check with my DM and see which ones are allowed.

Nijineko: that image just made my day xD epic combo right there

nijineko

Explorer
you are most welcome. we had a lot of fun and laughter over the inventive ways they came up with that. just imagine the intimi... ah "diplomacy" checks used to get information out of guys or else the dreaded consequence of getting sat upon by a huge hairy stinky bear, or even worse, the "bouncing betty" where the gnome kept his armor on by the use of a wilding clasp in bear form and attempted high jumps onto staked out bad guys.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads